Switching to DirecTV next week, help on a few install questions plz!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adam61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
My new house is finally finished being built and we're moving in a week. I had a few questions to make sure I get the setup done right the first time and get the best bang for my buck. You're only a new customer once :)

1) I know it gets asked a lot, but is there any real fear of not getting H/HR24s for your install? I just had two friends local switch from Dish to Direct and they got all HR24s not even asking. However, my parents who have had DirecTV for like 2 years have a 21 and 23 and it's really a night and day difference. So given that I would probably reject installation without the new units should I install through alternate means or just do the standard DirecTV.com and roll the dice since that seems like the main unit they are giving out around here?

2) Is doing a referral worth it or too much hassle? If I do one do I lose anything or does it hurt me in some way later? Also how do you call in a referral?

3) Is the best deal out there the $299 off receivers and discounts on service for the first 2 years? Is there any other deal I could stack with this?

4) On install day I'm setting up a MRV system with internet connection 2 HR24s and 1 H24. So 3 TVs total. However, we're adding another TV for Christmas and a 5th and final one next Summer. We have a network box in our garage that's a termination point for all the coax in the house to make wiring simple for installers. Would it be likely an installer would wire the 2 rooms I don't have receivers for yet so that I can order a new receiver and plug and play them later? If not is there another way around this?

5) Last question. Anything else I should know or look for during the order/install process or any other tips people may have?

Sorry for all the questions like I said I just want to get it right the first time. Thanks so much for your help!

-Adam

1-You will get what the installer has on his truck.
2-Never tried it. Call them for specifics and if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything.
3- Every time you call you get a different deal, it's called CSR roulette. Your deal sounds very good.
4-They will only run the wires that you need now but when you add another box that will come out and wire that one. If you use 5 then 3 should be DVRs otherwise you won't have complete access to all of your recordings.
5-Make sure everything is working before they leave, especially MRV. Good luck!

My new house is finally finished being built and we're moving in a week. I had a few questions to make sure I get the setup done right the first time and get the best bang for my buck. You're only a new customer once :)

1) I know it gets asked a lot, but is there any real fear of not getting H/HR24s for your install? I just had two friends local switch from Dish to Direct and they got all HR24s not even asking. However, my parents who have had DirecTV for like 2 years have a 21 and 23 and it's really a night and day difference. So given that I would probably reject installation without the new units should I install through alternate means or just do the standard DirecTV.com and roll the dice since that seems like the main unit they are giving out around here?

2) Is doing a referral worth it or too much hassle? If I do one do I lose anything or does it hurt me in some way later? Also how do you call in a referral?

3) Is the best deal out there the $299 off receivers and discounts on service for the first 2 years? Is there any other deal I could stack with this?

4) On install day I'm setting up a MRV system with internet connection 2 HR24s and 1 H24. So 3 TVs total. However, we're adding another TV for Christmas and a 5th and final one next Summer. We have a network box in our garage that's a termination point for all the coax in the house to make wiring simple for installers. Would it be likely an installer would wire the 2 rooms I don't have receivers for yet so that I can order a new receiver and plug and play them later? If not is there another way around this?

5) Last question. Anything else I should know or look for during the order/install process or any other tips people may have?

Sorry for all the questions like I said I just want to get it right the first time. Thanks so much for your help!

-Adam

1. If you order MRV, you will be getting H/HR24's. If MRV is not included on your order, you're at the mercy of the inventory God's. You can and should refuse installation if no 24's are available. Just wait it out if you're in no rush.

2. You don't lose anything.

3. After reading question 4, it appears that you are getting your additional advanced receivers for free, so yes.

4. I'm sure the installer will wire the rooms for you, but he is going to charge you for it. You'll likely be looking at a $100.00 or so. I would offer that up front so he doesnt have a chance to blow you off.

i.e. "Sorry, not on the work order and I'm running behind today."

5. Only thing I can think of is to warn you up front that upgrading automatically renews your contract. Additionally, upgrade charges are a lot more expensive than just getting everything knocked out on install. Not that DTV isnt great and all, but if for some reason you hate it, you'd be adding another two years to your plan.

Addtionally, if you add those extra receivers on your install work order, the lines come with it to the extra rooms. I can almost guarantee the installer will give you a run around with no TV's in those rooms (which is legit), so try to have some cheap TV's standing by so he can't cry about it.

I switched a few weeks ago, and I got the HR24 and H24 receivers. The installer said that is all they were stocking in their warehouse. As Contractor said, MRV will guarantee them for you. If you are concerned about it, have the salesperson put in the notes that you require the 24s. When the installer calls you to let you know when they will be there, verify with them that they have and are giving you 24s.

It is simple. When you speak with the salesperson, tell them you have a referral before you get off the phone. They will ask for the persons name and number...that is all there is to it, and will save you a $5 a month for a year!

They are pretty standard in their deals anymore. I had tried a few different times to call and finagle better deals, and every time the salesperson said the same thing; they can not extend beyond the current promotions.
The up side is you can do through TheDishStore and get up to $125 back! There is a sticky at the top of this forum with the link to it. Just go through their phone number to get service, and once it is installed mail in the rebate form. It is the best deal going as far as I am aware!

Most likely, yes. I had five receivers installed, and there was room for one more coax on the splitter. The installer actually suggested I tell him which additional cable to connect, even though there was no receiver to go to it currently. You will also want to have an electrical outlet for the installer to connect the module to.

Plan on hanging out and "helping" the installer. This way you can see what all is being done, and advise if you want it done differently. A pole installation will probably be best, so decide if that is what you want. If so, make sure the installer is prepared for one. Make sure everything is done to your satisfaction prior to signing anything, and get your rebates done online before installation day. Go through TheDishStore and they will take care of you!

if you dont want to do a referrel check with dishstore in the link at the top of the page
they were having a $100 mail in credit when i got my install done.
very fast turn around time also

toher then that i cant add anything to the above posts

Kind of sounded like you have RG6 routed from every room to homerun central location. That would imply that the wiring is already done, installer works 10 minutes gets full price install (20 extra minutes for lunch),:D:D:angel::angel:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)