Switching to DirecTv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SteveB

Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
I'm a current Dish Network subscriber (currently have 501 and 301), looking to make the switch to DirecTv mostly due to the desire for a dual tuner dvr without having to pay too much. In looking at my options, and reviewing posts made here, I see that all DirecTv DVRs are pretty much the same less the branding. What about non DVR receivers? Are they different between brands? One thing missing in the Tivo software for me is the multiple favorites lists, used heavily by the wife and especially the kids. Do the non DVRs have multiple favorite lists? Any specific features that one brand may have over the other?

I also noticed that most on-line sellers discount the hughes more than other brands.. or is it just where I happened to look? Last question; is there preferred on-line sellers that others have had success with?

Thanks in advance for your help.

dELL.COM AND EXPERTSATELITE.COM both have Direct Tivos for $49

Dell may someday be looking at Networking the Tivos to there new Media PCs.

Hughes basic receivers feature multiple favorite program guides. Our company sells all brands (Hughes, Philips, LG, Hughes and Samsung) of receivers.

Samsung’s basic receivers have the fastest program guides and very cool video games built-in. Expert is a very good on-line competitor, Dell requires a rebate to be filed to get the same price as other on-line dealers charge without rebates.

ScottChez said:
dELL.COM AND EXPERTSATELITE.COM both have Direct Tivos for $49

Dell may someday be looking at Networking the Tivos to there new Media PCs.

Which dish comes with Dell's $49 deal? Expert Satellite gives you a choice between an 18" for$49 or an 18" x 20" phase III dish with 5 x 4 multi switch for $69. If or when I switch, I will want the Phase III dish and will also need a 2nd dish because my locals will be going to 72.5 satellite location. :)

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Hughes basic receivers feature multiple favorite program guides. Our company sells all brands (Hughes, Philips, LG, Hughes and Samsung) of receivers.

Samsung’s basic receivers have the fastest program guides and very cool video games built-in. Expert is a very good on-line competitor, Dell requires a rebate to be filed to get the same price as other on-line dealers charge without rebates.

Do any of the D* receiver’s have a browse feature like on all E* receivers allowing you to check out what is on currently or next on other channels wile watching one channel without going to the full EPG. This has been a feature on all E* receivers from the beginning and I find it convenient.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Hughes basic receivers feature multiple favorite program guides.

Just my 2 cents worth:
That Hughes Executive is one nifty little receiver! :clap I have it as my 3rd box in my RV and it rocks! With the exception of no RF remote, I prefer it over either the 4922 or 3822 I had with Dish. I wouldn't replace either of my DTivos (or my old 501, for that matter) with it but I sure like the multiple favorites list. I miss that feature in my DTivos. I also understand it has caller ID but, needless to say, it ain't hooked up in my RV.

Chris Freeland said:
Do any of the D* receiver’s have a browse feature like on all E* receivers allowing you to check out what is on currently or next on other channels wile watching one channel without going to the full EPG. This has been a feature on all E* receivers from the beginning and I find it convenient.

I think you would like the Hughes Picture in Guide feature. I know you said "without going to the full EPG" but one button takes you to the Advance EPG and it's great.

Hughes is our best selling STB line and our customers love them.

Chris Freeland said:
I thought that I would miss this feature when going from E* to D* (Dishplayer 7200 to DirecTivo)... until you just now mentioned it, I forgot all about it!

This is due to my hardly ever watching live TV anymore - I just go to the Tivo and see what it has recorded for me. I don't hunt for something to watch anymore I guess, so I don't care what is coming on next even if I am watching a show live.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I think you would like the Hughes Picture in Guide feature. I know you said "without going to the full EPG" but one button takes you to the Advance EPG and it's great.

Hughes is our best selling STB line and our customers love them.
Here I come with another hurrah! :heart The PIP EPG on the Hughes is everything it should have been on the 4922 (or other non-DVR receiver) and IMO actually works smoother than the EPG on my 501 or my DTivo. The transition is very smooth and well done.

Dell.com DirecTV Tivo deal

Chris Freeland said:
Which dish comes with Dell's $49 deal?
It includes an 18"x20" dish.

The deal actually is that you pay $99 for the DirecTV DVR (Tivo) along with the dish antenna, 0, 1, or 2 additional standard receivers, and installation. Then you apply for a $50 mail-in rebate. You also pay a $14.95 "handling and delivery fee" (the standard fee you pay when you sign up as a new customer directly from DirecTV's web site).

The offer is for new DirecTV customers only. Requires a 12-month subscription to any Total Choice programming package.

One of Dell's pages says "Dell DirecTV Mail-in Rebate offer ends 2/28/04." Dell's customer service said I needed to talk to DirecTV, who in turn said that 2/28 is the date by which you must purchase the equipment.

The rebate form itself says you must activate service within 30 days of equipment purchase, and the rebate paperwork (including a copy of your first DirecTV bill) must be postmarked within 60 days of activation.

To navigate to the page with the offer:
  • Go to www.dell.com,
  • Choose "Home & Office"
  • Under "Shopping Alternatives" click on "Dell Direct Store"
  • Under "New At Dell" (near the bottom, left) click on "TiVo Digital Video Recorders Starting at $49"
  • Click on "Special Offers"
  • Click on "Buy Now!"
You'll end up on DirecTV's site, at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/SpecialOffers.do?DCMP=DELL

Here's a link to the rebate form.

I have been seeing rumors posted here and elsewhere that the D* new customer promotion starting 3/1 will include a D*Tivo for Free, similar to the E* Free DVR promos going on now, can or will any dealers out their confirm this? I also have seen a D* press release that they will be offering new customers 6 months of TC for $29.99/mo for first 6 months also starting 3/1, I assume TC+ will be $32.99 for 6 months for new customers? Since my locals will not be available on D* until April at earliest, a Free D*Tivo and 2 standard receivers and TC+ for $32.99/mo for 6 months will work great for me. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)