Switching to DISH, need advice!

ultramikeg

Original poster
May 31, 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hey guys I'm looking for some tips from the experts. I am switching my mom's satellite tv service from DirecTV to Dish for the better prices. I tried to negotiate with DirecTV but they only gave me $30/off for 12 months. So I'm looking for the 200 channel package and HD/DVR. Is there a way to save money if you don't need the Hopper? Anyone want to give me a link to a special deal available for new customers?

Do they offer discounts for being a teacher, AAA member, etc.?

I guess because he is looking to save monthly fees with a 722 vs. a Hopper.

If you have only 1 722, your dvr fee would be $7 and no additional receiver fee (gets applied with 2 or more receivers). Hopper dvr fee is higher (I think it is now $11, but not sure due to newest price increase) and each Joey and additional Hopper is $7

$360 savings wasn't enough?

If Direct would have offered me that I never would have left. That would have taken care of the $300 they wanted me to pay for a Genie upgrade. It would have been about even for Direct and myself.

Wow 30 off for 12 months?? I would have taken that.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. It sounded like a good deal to me but the 200 channel package would be $46.99/month for 12 months, then go back to $66.99.

After the fees, the bill for DirecTV is $90 per month for the 200 channel package for 1 HDTV and DVR. The same package at dish is $70 per month.

The DirecTV rep offered to waive the $10/month HDTV fee for 12 months, and $20 off the package for 12 months. Dish is offering the same service at a lower price for the promotional 12 months, and a lower price once that term ends.

Is DirecTV worth an extra $240 per year compared to DISH?

I agree with you Claude. Doesn't seem to be a financial gain to make the move with that kind of discount offered. Essentially a wash financially. But he would get the faster and arguably better Hopper/Joey... :)

I agree with you Claude. Doesn't seem to be a financial gain to make the move with that kind of discount offered. Essentially a wash financially. But he would get the faster and arguably better Hopper/Joey... :)

Thinking about my folks. Changing equipment
Can be a challenge for some people.

I would take the discount form Direc and not
Introduce an unfamiliar system.

However, if your there to help with the new setup
It's a moot point.

Yeah changing equipment can be a little challenging for those not technically inclined.

My mom is 92 and she still has the analog only signals to her TV from TWC. The house has better service, and the other TVs use converter boxes and we tried one on her set and she just couldn't grasp the differences, so we took the box out.

NO, the consensus is not that Directv is better than dish, the consensus is you won't save enough to merit the switch....and getting into a 2 year commitment.

So is the consensus that DirecTV is better than Dish?

From what did you deduce that? One is only better than the other dependant on what someone is looking for. I think we are just confused you would turn down a $360 savings to stay with a familiar and good service.

From what did you deduce that? One is only better than the other dependant on what someone is looking for. I think we are just confused you would turn down a $360 savings to stay with a familiar and good service.
I don't think WE are the ones confused.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts