Switching to Fios?

lcrngrs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 27, 2008
More and more each day, I'm thinking of switching to fios. I like the multi-room DVR and having the ability to create your own channel guide is a definite positive. From what I'm reading the internet is faster and always consistent, not to mention the picture quality is much better. My neighbors have it so I checked for myself. What is holding me back believe it or not, is one channel. They do not have MSG-HD and I'm a big Ranger fan. I can sacrifice news 12 and MSNBC, but as silly as it sounds, no msg in hd is the problem. When will Cablevision enter the 21st century and come up with some new equipment and software that wasn't brought over on the Mayflower? Has anyone switched yet?:)

The picture quaility on Fios isn't better imho, at least not on the HD. As for multi-room DVR, as was posted earlier this week they are moving to a Cablevison server based DVR making every STB a virtual DVR later this summer. And finally the billing issues with Verizon, while I hear have improved, are still ridiculous with hidden surchrages. Factor in the 2 year contract and I don't see the value. Their internet is 20MPS vs Optimums 15 but most of us check email and serf the web which is more than sufficient. The best thing I can say about FIOS is thank God they are here to keep Cablevison in line with the pricing.

One good thing FIOS does have that we don't is the NFL Network.

Steve

I switched over a few years ago and have not regretted moving over to FIOS. I'm not a big Ranger or Knick fan, so losing MSG was not a big deal to me. While the HD quality is very comparable between the two, FIOS's SD channels are a far cut better than Cablevision (there are still a couple of SD channels I watch). As for the billing issue, I have not had any problems but I heard if you do not get their voice package that is where your billings nightmares begin.

A few advantages of FIOS over CV that i have noticed:

- internet is always a solid 20Mb at any time of day
- much better channel guide than CVs 1980s guide
- channel surfing is fast, I used to have to wait a few seconds on CV for the video to appear on the TV
- reliability, ZERO outages in 2.5 years
- I started having huge pixelation problems on some HD channels when with CV, this is non-existent with FIOS
- extensive VOD library and most of it is free

As for multi-room DVR, as was posted earlier this week they are moving to a Cablevison server based DVR making every STB a virtual DVR later this summer.
Steve

While the server based DVR sounds good, I'm concerned about not being able to skip commercials. Until it comes out, I guess we wont know for sure if this is an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts