Switching to HD in Stages

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davey4000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
If I obtain HD receivers can I self activate them by simply replacing my current SD receivers with the HD receivers and leave the round dish? Right now I’m ok with not having HD and simply continue reception on 101 in SD for a month or two until I can solve some logistics issues in swapping out the antenna.

When I ordered the receivers D* said the new receivers would be shipped directly to me, but they were adamant about scheduling a D* installer to come out and activate the new receivers. I do not see the need for this step at this time and would like to cancel the install after I activate the new receivers myself.

If you do it all at once then D* will come out and install the correct dish free of charge, if you go in steps like your saying, you'll end up buying your dish.

I do not see the need for this step at this time and would like to cancel the install after I activate the new receivers myself.
You may not understand that the "round dish" will not bring any HD channels. HD access is a condition of leasing HD equipment and a correctly installed (and locale appropriate) Slimline dish is a condition of HD access.

You may not understand that the new dish requires a special mounting treatment including a new foot and support "monopoles".

Remember also that once they send the receivers, you have 30 days to install them or you will be charged a very substantial fee for failure to activate them.

One other thing to consider. If you purchase the HD receivers on your own through a retailer and activate them that way, you will still be charged the $10 a month HD service fee even if you don't have the dish.

If you purchase the HD receivers on your own through a retailer and activate them that way, you will still be charged the $10 a month HD service fee even if you don't have the dish.
The question in this case is whether or not they will activate the receivers at all as Liquidforce88 warns. I too have doubts that they will activate it/them.

In that event, the OP will be charged the substantial fee that I spoke of above in addition to whatever they paid to obtain the leased receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Warning for New Installs

Will This Work for Slim line Direct TV Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)