SWM-32 Power Suppy

Status
Please reply by conversation.
:welcome to Satellitesguys TeamHowards!

I've never dealt with the swm32s, so I can't answer from experience. Didn't it come with installation instructions?

Actually the information out there on the internet is a little confusing and I'm happy to help explain this.

There are ports for a total of 3 power supplies on the SWM-32 and you only need one.

The recommended power supply is the Sonora PS2420000A. It connects to the coax power port and supplies 24V with a screw-on connector. The other power supply is the 3A502 power supply which also supplies 24 volts but with a push-on connector. The third connection point is for a 3A302 20v power supply which powers the dish ONLY.

The 3A502 was the originally recommended power supply but there were a lot of complaints over the years with the spring clip giving out which caused the plug to fall out if there was the slightest pressure on it. That's why DIRECTV now recommends the screw-on power supply.

DIRECTV doesn't recommend you power the dish through the SWM32 at all now. It has proven to be problematic in commercial installs. They recommend that you use a polarity locker to power the dish and a trunk amp to normalize the signal. The polarity locker should be the 4SATPL, 5SATPL, or PI6L from Sonora, and the amplifier should be the LA144R-T or TAMP_6. The TAMP_6 is really better because it has controls over output levels and slope compensation.

So, long story short, get the PS2420000A power supply for the SWM32 and a polarity locker for the dish. That's all you need.

Thanks, I knew someone with a clue (not me!) would post the right information!

Oh and I almost forgot to answer the original question which is, yes you can use both 24V power supplies at once for redundancy, it will not overdrive the SWM.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)