swm align without a meter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjs812

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Jupiter, FL
I searched for this, and couldn't find any straight answers. Can the swm be aligned with a receiver?

You bet; takes some patience & having the receiver & a small TV right at the install point helps but it can easily be done. Start with the 101 then fine tune your 99 & 103 slowly. If you're using the SWM-8 switch fine tune everything before hooking up the switch then add the switch when you're satisfied with your numbers.

What do you mean by swm software already loaded? This is going to be an upgrade for me, well basically a new install. I have to get all new receivers as well as the dish and so forth. Will the receivers I get be ready to go providing they are for the swm lnbf?

the one's I've been installing I have to force a download to get it to recognize the SWM lnb
maybe peak the dish with standard lnb then swap them out

I believe you still need to force a download; at least that's the way it was a few weeks back. Maybe the latest model is different. Doing the alignment with your older equipment is actually a good idea.

They will do you some good as it will tell you where you should be pointing the new dish to receive the 101 bird. I can't remember if all birds need to be found before the receiver will download it's new software, but it does use the 101 for it's download so it might work. Aligning these things are overrated; have a small TV & your receiver right at the install point & make your fine adjustments after locking in 101. It takes some time & practice but once you do it you know you will be available to fix it again in an emergency.

I'm not worried about the actual alignment of the dish, I've setup many fta dishes as well as single lnb Dtv stuff and a few dish 500's... Its the actual swm hardware and the newer receives I'm not familiar with. Just want to make sure It can be done with the receiver, cause I don't want to buy a meter if I don't have to.

I use a SWM with a tripod for my Motorhome , No meter needed. Very important that tripod or mounting is level. Have someone near TV to read signal strength and takes about 10 minutes to set up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)