SWM Availability

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cincy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
I called D* three different times today to ask about when the swm will be available in my area(cincinnati) and could not get an answer out of any of the csr's. Does anyone have anymore information when they will be available in more markets? Thanks in advance!

If you're talking about the SWM module, from what I've seen it's only for installers to put in MDU's, not single family homes. Now if you're talking about the SWMSlimline, sorry I haven't seen anything announced past the initial list of first cities to get it. If you need one badly and want to pay for it, this site has a sponsor that's offering a good price for it http://www.satelliteguys.us/frontpage-news/139337-satelliteguys-welcomes-weaknees-com.html.

I just had D* installed and specifically requested an WB68 switch. The installer used a SW4 switch and gave me an SW8 switch for when I add additional receivers. For every bad install comments I read on this and other sites I was very skeptical but, I have to say, the kid that installed my system did an excellent job. He was prompt, accommodating, knowledgeable and didn't cut corners. He was in and out in about 2 1/2 hrs. I was very pleased. I am in the Phoenix area and they are using the SW switches.

Sorry, I did mean the swmslimline. I had to cancel my install last Friday because I am unable to run a second wire for the HD DVR in my basement because it is all drywall. The installer told me that this would be coming out soon in my area and to call D* to find out a date. They were no help so I thought I would try here. I guess I will just wait to switch.

SWM slimline will not be available everywhere for at least a few months, they are just starting to roll them to the HSPs, and only some, not all.

May be into 2009 before they are a standard daily install item.

The CSRs have no way to get a certain switch. They can note it on the work order but even that does not get it to your home. There is no way to request and get certain hardware when it comes to dish / switch. It is based on availability and compleity of the install (if they have them)

Is there a way for me to get Directv to replace my switch for the SWM multiswitch if I re-up my contract?

They can't request SWM multiswitch's either. If you have a service call to replace the dish, have a 5lnb situation (HD), they driver has a SWM, and it meets the criteria for the install (multiple HD-DVRs), they you "may" get it.

Still very early in SWM land, no easy way to secure it from D* other than buying it from a 3rd party (expensive). Weaknees has them for a little over $200.

I just had D* installed and specifically requested an WB68 switch. The installer used a SW4 switch and gave me an SW8 switch for when I add additional receivers. For every bad install comments I read on this and other sites I was very skeptical but, I have to say, the kid that installed my system did an excellent job. He was prompt, accommodating, knowledgeable and didn't cut corners. He was in and out in about 2 1/2 hrs. I was very pleased. I am in the Phoenix area and they are using the SW switches.

What's a SW4? The only SWM switch I am aware of is the SWM8 (there was a SWM5 but it didn't go into production).

i think he is talking about a sws-4 and a sws-8 directv branded splitter

OK, those are the splitters that DirecTV is providing HSPs with the SWM switch or SWM LNB.

That means you received the SWM, you're better off than asking for a WB68.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)