SWM grounding Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
I have the reduced size BAU and it's on a tree 100' away from camper. I have the Directv splitter installed under the camper. Camper has 2 satellite in plugs on outside. My question is where to ground? I have an 8' half inch copper rod which I could drive in either by the tree or next to the camper. If I should ground by the camper, do I use a grounding block OR just go right off the ground on the splitter itself?

My choice would be to use a grounding block and grounding next to the camper with the rod. If this is something that is temporary and the camper is going to move from campsite to campsite, then I wouldnt bother grounding.

Reactions: dcavaiani
Is there any extra protection by maybe unplugging or disconnecting the satellite set top boxes when away for days?

You can unplug that is a choice.....Most electronics that get fried are from transient lightning strikes!
Which means lightning hits close by( not directly) and either comes over power, phone, or even the dish coax...
You would be preventing one of those scenarios...
And the grounding block is a good idea as long as its grounded as close or right where the existing ground is now for the feed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)