SWM install..unused ports on splitter, and mast ground question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arkapigdiesel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
Got two questions.....Going to replace my 5 LNB Ka/Ku with the SWM 5 LNB. Naturally, I will no longer need the Zinwell switch. Right now the mast is grounded to the Zinwell switch.

1. Where do I need to run the ground to on an SWM install?

2.What do I need to do with the unused ports on the splitter? Do I need to terminate them or just leave the open? If I'm supposed to terminate, where can I buy terminators at?

Thanks in advance :)

Install a ground block between the dish and the switch. I,m not sure if you need to terminate, if the switch is in the weather, I would, to keep water from getting in, if not I wouldn't worry about it.

If your splitter has a ground terminal, connect both the ground lead from the dish and the one to your house ground to it, othewise use a ground block. Terminations are not necessary with multiswitches but should attached to unused splitter outputs.

I had planned on running one long line (approximately 50 ft) from the dish to the splitter. The splitter would be located in a central location in the house attic. The lines from the receivers will come into the splitter at the central location.

I'm not using a switch....I'm using the DirecTV SWM approved splitter.

I don't what DTV requires in your area but I live in Tennessee they require their techs to run the coax with a ground to within 20' of the house ground put in a ground block and ground to top or bottom. use #10 solid copper and ground from the other to the house ground. Then you can run your ungrounded coax wherever. look at the Zinwell if it meets these requirements remove it and put a ground block there and run a single to the PI of your splitter. They also require techs to put rubber grommets on all ports and caps on unused ports in unconditioned spaces but that is up to you. If you decide to put caps on run down a dtv truck he'll probably give them to you.

Last edited:
How about I do this.....I attach the existing copper wire from the mast to one of the spots on the below pictured ground block. Then, I intend on running a copper wire from the other spot on the ground block to a copper ground rod that I will drive into the earth? Am I doing it right?

GroundBlock.jpg

How about I do this.....I attach the existing copper wire from the mast to one of the spots on the below pictured ground block. Then, I intend on running a copper wire from the other spot on the ground block to a copper ground rod that I will drive into the earth? Am I doing it right?

GroundBlock.jpg

i believe so ;) if you're using diplexers to combine ota,they usually have a screw for ground too

When you say "OTA", I'm assuming an over the air antenna? If so, why would someone need to do that? For locals?

yes ota is over the air for locals. i have them to get the 2 or 3 sub channels that D doesn't carry and most importantly it's good for when there's a bad storm and you lose sat signals for a few minutes or longer depending on the storm;) you'll at least have ota channels coming in

Also, you DO need to terminate the unused ports on the switch. solidsignal.com has them. Search for 75 ohm terminator

GroundBlock.jpg

Per the National Electrical Code you also need to bond your ground rod to the house ground. You may be able to use copper water pipe for this (check your local building code).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)