swm issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

swordsandtequila

Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
I'm trying to post a thread concerning a swm issue; keep getting an error message about posting URL's to other sites not permitted. Have no idea what they mean, as I'm not posting any, but whatever it takes.

2 questions. Will an accutrak ka/ku meter give an accurate signal reading when using a swm8, and is there a simple way to test the Power Inserter to see if it's functioning properly (other than the green light)?

My system IS connected properly, I've been on other forums and no one seems to have an answer for my problem, which is the always searching for signal. After installing swm, went from having configuration confirmed, having signal, to lockup, no signal, searching for signal sat in 1 and 2, can't verify config. Have reset a hundred times, powered down, unplugged, tested EVERY connection and cable, and still can't get a signal. Connect dish directly to receiver (hr21, 2 months old), no problem, signal strength in the mid 90's to 100. With swm in line, signal reduces all the way to the mid 40's @ the power inserter. Cable run is well under max length, no splitters, only on receiver. Any suggestions? Would appreciate any help. Ready to throw the whole mess in the street.

Sorry I cannot help you, I don't have the SWM in my area yet.
Hang in there, there are people out there that wuill be able to help you that have been testing them.

Jimbo

85 feet should not be a problem from what I've experienced and read.
What quality of cable does the jacket say it is?
If it has been installed more than 3 years ago it might not be able to handle the high and low frequencies used by the SWM8 (the KaKu dish uses 250 MHz through 2.3 GHz and the SWM8 stacks them for multiple receivers to use any part of the spectrum).
Also, I'm not sure, but 85 feet is a long distance for current to travel, and maybe the combination of switch and LNBFs is not getting enough power.
Copper-clad steel cable is slightly worse than solid copper in carrying current needed to power the equipment at the other end of the cable.

This web site has some interesting details you might want to check if you hadn't already:
DirecTV SWM 8 Multiswitch Frequently Asked Questions

One little detail that caught my eye is "never use a B-band converter with the SWM8." Another is that the cable can be as long as 300 feet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts