SWM - Large building installation problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satguyj

Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
East Coast, USA
I'm in a LARGE pickle right now. I have layers of IT mangment asking me why TV isn't working, and I just don't know. I'm a not an installer or RF enigneer, just a guy. ANY HELP would be apprecaited.

Here's my situation:

We have a SWM install done by our technology partner. Bottom line is all 8 receivers can't see the dish.

Here's our setup from top of the building down:

- 5 LNB and paired dish AU9-SL5-SWM
- Quad shielded RG 6
- ~200 ft of RG 6 from roof to IDF Closet

- DirecTV PI-28 Switching Power Supply
- A Sonora Designs LA 141R swm amp w. power supply in IDF closet
- ~200 ft of RG 6 from IDF to IDF Closet

- A Sonora Designs LA 141R swm amp w. power supply in IDF closet
- ~200 ft of RG 6 from IDF to IDF Closet

- Two (2) Sonora Designs LA 141R swm amp w. power supply in IDF closet
~200 ft of RG 6 from IDF to Head End rack.

- A DirecTV SWM 1x8 splitter
- 8 DirecTV H21 receivers

We seem to have VERY sporadic ability to get signal. When we do, we can do activation, etc.. Wiring and alignment is all expected to be good, though we don't have a way to test for small line damage. A tone on each segment came back fine. Having only 1 reicver attached to the red "out" on the 8 way SWM splitter, worked for a day, now doesn't.

I've been told repeatedly that this SHOULD work, but it doesn't.

Is there anyone who has any luck with getting a SWM system working reliably @ 800 ft with SWM amps, etc....

If SWM isn't an option, what would it take to get a 4 wire system reliably working?

Last edited:
Don't quote me, but I think the specs say that you can't go past 150' (Un-amplified) from switch to device. Beyond that, check your frequencies on the AMPs to ensure they hit the full spectrum up to 2.4 GHz as I believe the data channel resides way up there.

For more definite answers, try hitting up the Installers Forum from the main page.

Do you have a Birdog meter with SWM load so you test for a signal at the first SWM splitter?

I'm asking because I'm thinking that 200 of cable between the LNB and the Power Inserter is 50 to 80 feet too long. Specs says that 150 feet is max preferred - but I have seen good signals extend to 180 - but not to 200 feet. Generally, 120 feet and under is the best.

Try relocating your power inserter closer to the LNB and test for signal on one of the powered outputs.

The SWM switch will only do 8 tuners (4 DVRs). Maybe putting the receivers in single tuner mode will help.

I'm thinking the distance is your problem. I concur in relocating the power inserter closer to the LNB, although I'm not sure that will work either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)