SWM Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

csabec

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
UP of Michigan
For the last 3 or 4 days every couple hours or so I get a Searching for Satellite 771A message. After resetting via the red button or unplugging the HR-22 itself it usually goes away. Today it did not so I called into tech support and the lady said that the 771A is a swm problem, after unplugging the power inverter and resetting the receiver it came back on. So my question is this is the second time these types of problems happened with this setup. A month or so ago I called in and the tech replaced the power inverter and I believe the splitter outside. Is there anything I can do that might be causing the swm to malfunction? The weather has been nice so its not a weather thing and the power inverter has never been unplugged since it has been replaced. Any help would be great.

You should read all of the other threads about this problem. I went thru 2 months of error 771a. Replaced everything but the cabling and hr24. Finally the tech replaced the hr24. No problem unless there's a thunderstorm. I went thru all the same BS with the phone tech. Wanted me to unscrew the connections. Now, I'm a strong guy but the tech put these cables on with a tool, they ain't coming off by hand. I'm pretty sure these techs prior job was in a pickle factory hand tightening lids on the jars. Ask the tech if he'll replace the receiver.

Usually when there is a 771A a tech is sent out. Resetting the SWM usually is only a temporary fix.

sexton772 said:
its the lnb lol

It may be but I'd bet the farm that it isn't. The lnb is just the cheaper fix of the two. Why trash a $500 receiver if you can string the customer along with less expensive fixes? On mine, the lnb, pi and swm were all replaced.

Two months this receiver was replaced along with the deca box, splitter and the power inverter. Since I have the insurance from Directv I think that I will keep calling until I get a tech out. I know that last time he said if it happened again he might have to replace something else, could have been the lnb but not sure. The tech (today when I called) told me to unplug the power inverter all the time and it will correct itself. But as someone mentioned seemed only a temp fix.

Well just wanted to update this post. I called in again after having to reset the power inverter this morning. I talked to the tech department and then I was called back by a Tech Manager. They are going to send someone tomorrow so I'm hoping that all goes well and the problems are going to cease. Thanks for the help and the good suggestions I have gained on this forum.

had the same problem.....replaced 2 power inserters, numerous resets....all came down to the cable coming from the dish to the splitter. by chance is your line from the dish to the splitter one long line or strung together by a few couplers in the line run. if its the run with couplers, replace that with one long line of coax from the dish to the splitter and see if that helps. thats what i did and presto!!, no 771a!

Tech just left and he replaced the swm power supply and after he did that searching for sat came up again. Mind you this is the same tech that came and worked on it the last time. Went out to the the truck and grabbed a new hr24 and replaced the hr22. He seemed to feel it was with the older deca setup and since the hr24 has it built in the tech said there shouldn't be any further problems. He told me to call him directly next time if the problem happens again. He did say the last receiver that I had gotten from Directv themselves was a refurbished Hr22, so I am hoping that the problems go away.

Bingo! We have a winner! While replacing the receiver is not the solution to every 771a issue, I believe it is in most cases. Especially when everything else has been replaced.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)