SWM Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brindze

Jan 10, 2008
Hi .. I am a new customer with a whole home system that is not working. I am trying to understand as much as I can before the next installer gets here, so that it will be sucessful this time.

I have a HR34, one HD24 and two HD25's.

I looked at the wiring and the SWM is a SWM 4. I have seen postings on here that relate the SWM to the number of tuners. The HR34 has 5 of its own, and then each HD has one (though they are not shared).

So is the SWM 4 correct, or should it have been an 8?

Thanks

I have that exact setup and you need a swm 16 to make it work. I just went through install problems on mine and I had a swm 8 previously. The last tech installed a swm16 and now everything works great.

Earl

fr8flyr said:
I have that exact setup and you need a swm 16 to make it work. I just went through install problems on mine and I had a swm 8 previously. The last tech installed a swm16 and now everything works great.

Earl

Thanks Earl,

Do you (or anyone else here) know the actual technical rules? Do you count all tuners? What about the CCK, does that add to the count?

Thanks Again.

Hutch1814 said:
IF the 24 is an H24 and NOT an HR24 then a 16 isn't needed.

No, just an HD 24, but is an SWM 4 to small in any event?

And same question as above, can you explain the technical rules, and whether the CCK effects this?

Thanks

The CCK is data only so doesn't effect the number of tuners. You have what you need. You're prolly having the same issues all of America is having with the 34. It's just a newer receiver that still has bugs to work out

Hutch1814 said:
The CCK is data only so doesn't effect the number of tuners. You have what you need. You're prolly having the same issues all of America is having with the 34. It's just a newer receiver that still has bugs to work out

When you say that I have what I need, is that possible, since the 34 has 5 tuners all by itself, and the installer only put in a SWM 4, not an 8.?

Yes, you have exactly what you need. The 4-way is correct. The issues you're facing ate all over this thread and others. The 34 is known to have MRV issues at this time and so do the 25's. You're not alone, several people can say they're seeing the same issues as you

While Hutch1814 is correct, there are a number of posts about problems with your configuration, I think it is worth the effort to correct some of the language here. First, there is no such thing as a SWM 4. SWM configurations come in multiples of 8. You may have a 4-way splitter that is used to distribute you SWM signal to 4 individual units, but your SWM unit supports up to 8 tuners. Each of your receivers/HDRs only needs one coax per unit to work. If I understand that one of your units is an H24 with 1 tuner (no such thing as an HD24) versus an HR24 with 2 tuners you would have a total of 8 (HR34=5, H24=1, 2 H25s=2) which should work fine. If by HD24 you mean HR24 that would add one extra tuner and you would have definite problems.

You never said what your problem(s) were, so it is difficult to know what you are trying to achieve here. What does not work?

You count all the tuners and assure you don't have swim overdrive?
But yes, as previous post says, what messages or symptoms are you getting? No playlist sharing?

OK, let's get to basics, and to reinforce Bob's post - I assume you have an SWM dish, with single cable to the house? If so, that will support eight tuners. If you have an HR34, an H24 receiver (there is no HD24) and two H25 receivers, that's eight tuners and so the SWM dish will work fine. Then it looks like the single cable is connected to an SWS4 splitter, it's NOT an SWM4. Then one cable to each of the HR34, H24 and H25, four cables in total.
If you have an HR24 DVR, not an H24 receiver, then that is nine tuners and your system will NOT work with the SWM dish. You will need to replace the LNB at the dish with a non-SWM LNB connected to the dish via four cables, , add an SWM16 multiswitch and power inserter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts