SWM Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lynskyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Houston, Texas
I have a first generation AT9 dish and have never used SWM. I have 2 HR24s and 2 AM21s.
DirecTV is giving me an HR34 (replacing 1 of the HR24s) and installation including the necessary SWM equipment if I sign up for two more years.
My question is, which SWM equipment will I need? I will have 1 HR34 and 1 HR24. I just want to be sure I will be able to use all the tuners.
I do not care about the Whole Home stuff. I would think since the HR24 has 2 tuners and the HR34 has 5 tuners that the SWM8 would work. Is this correct?
Thanks.

They should bring all you need. It will include a new LNB assembly and a PI. I think you'll will need/want MRV "whole home" or you won't be able to connect to the 34. I'd add a CCK too so you can connect to the Internet and use VOD.

Thanks. I already have ethernet hard wired to my receivers so I shouldn't need the CCK.
When you say "Connect to the 34", what do you mean?

I don't think your 24 will see the 34 without MRV and plugging in an Ethernet cable will kill MRV. I have MRV and MUST use a DECA box (old school replaced by CCK) to connect to my router. The purpose of the 34 is to do all the recording and be viewed by clients. If you do not want to share programming between the boxes I guess you can operate them in a standalone mode.

Right - I don't care about sharing programming between the boxes so I will do that.
You mentioned replacing the LNB instead of using a SWM8 - can they do that with an AT9 dish (not a Slimline) or will they have to replace the whole dish?
I would rather use the SWM8 than change out the dish.

Right - I don't care about sharing programming between the boxes so I will do that.
You mentioned replacing the LNB instead of using a SWM8 - can they do that with an AT9 dish (not a Slimline) or will they have to replace the whole dish?
I would rather use the SWM8 than change out the dish.

The Slimline (AU9), is a better dish than the AT9. I don't think the swm lnb will fit on the AT9, but even if it did, you are better off with the Slimline. Why don't you want to change out the AT9?

The Slimline (AU9), is a better dish than the AT9. I don't think the swm lnb will fit on the AT9, but even if it did, you are better off with the Slimline. Why don't you want to change out the AT9?

The AT9 has always worked perfectly since I installed it and tweaked it years ago (2005). I just don't see a need to change the dish out when I could just add the SWM8.

Lynskyn said:
The AT9 has always worked perfectly since I installed it and tweaked it years ago (2005). I just don't see a need to change the dish out when I could just add the SWM8.

It's a matter of swapping an LNB and adding a power inserter. I doubt Directv would send out a SWM8 for your upgrade but I've seen work orders built like this one call for a SWM16 just because when the work order is built it shows 9 tuners since the 2 HDDVRS are still active.

It's a matter of swapping an LNB and adding a power inserter. I doubt Directv would send out a SWM8 for your upgrade but I've seen work orders built like this one call for a SWM16 just because when the work order is built it shows 9 tuners since the 2 HDDVRS are still active.

I know they can do that on a Slimline - I didn't think they made a SWiM LNB for the old AT9s.

Lynskyn said:
I know they can do that on a Slimline - I didn't think they made a SWiM LNB for the old AT9s.

You win, missed that. When the tech comes they're swapping it. Even if you want the SWM8 instead.

It's possible since you have two dvrs, and therefore four lines coming in from the dish, that they will just give you a swm8 instead of switching out the dish. I doubt it, though. It's SOP to install a new dish, right or wrong.

raoul5788 said:
It's possible since you have two dvrs, and therefore four lines coming in from the dish, that they will just give you a swm8 instead of switching out the dish. I doubt it, though. It's SOP to install a new dish, right or wrong.

The tech won't try it. I've never tried it, between activating and having to run an IV retest. I'd rather know my dish is aligned and solid rather than fighting it and wasting time

Hmm. Yeah I really don't want those guys messing with my dish - maybe I'll just get a SWM8 & power injector from ebay and do it myself. Then they can come install just the receiver.

Have it your way, but you really would be better off with a Slimline. It gets higher signal levels, so theoretically a more stable picture.

The AT9 will not pass IV atleast not in my area.So just adding a SWM8 switch will not work. You can't just put the SWM LNB in the AT9 as it is a different shape so it wont work. They will have to change the dish to the Slimline. If you have internet, he will have to install the Broadband Deca and remove the lines connected directly to the receivers.

Just let the tech do his job.

If you don't already know. IV tests the signal strength from the dish. If it is not high enough the receiver will not activate. Plus they will have to run an IV retest on your existing HR24, again it wont pass with the AT9. Also Directv is connectivity crazy. SO like I said the tech will have to install the BB DECA if you have high speed internet. You are already paying for MRV so why not use it.

Last edited:
Wow if that's true this IV Retest thing is stupid. I have never had a signal issue since I installed the AT9 7 years ago. I still get signal readings in the high 90s to 100 on every satellite and I have never had to re-tweak it.

Newer is better here. When I went SWM I was already non-SWM Slimline. They swapped out the whole thing and left me with a free camping setup. My SWM SL5 gets a better signal then the non-SWM one. So much better that I converted the camping dish to SWM. Looking at the photo of your old dish it looks pretty small and the sidecar pretty flimsy. Slimlines are very sturdy. Let DirecTV set it up the way it is engineered to be. You do want MRV. Why not share all seven tuners?

Oh well, this isn't going to happen anyway. DirecTV could not guarantee I would maintain my package with the DVR fee included if I get this receiver deal.
I'll just stick with what I have for now. Thanks everyone for your input.

Getting new equipment shouldn't affect your programming deal. Any Directv csrs have any input on this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)