SWM switch is shocking

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bgmncwj

Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Chicago
Hi everybody,
I was in my basement today and touched the SWM multiswitch (8 port) and it seems to be electrified. Gave me a little bit of a shock (not outlet strong, more 9v strong). Everything seems to be working fine but I've got DTV coming out on Wednesday to take a look. In the mean time any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure my home power system is grounded correctly, how should the sat system be grounded? I don't see any ground wires anywhere from it and the power inserter and internet connection kit are both just two prong power cables (not grounded).

Stray voltage in a multiswitch is a symptom.

As others have mentioned, verify your system is grounded. Then the breaker serving your receiver should flip. Then you find the electrical fault and get it fixed.

IF you have more than one receiver...unplug them one at a time until the voltage leak goes away.
Discontinue use of that receiver until you discover what is happening.....THIS IS AN UNUSUAL AND DANGEROUS SITUATION.

Joe

Hi everybody,
I was in my basement today and touched the SWM multiswitch (8 port) and it seems to be electrified. Gave me a little bit of a shock (not outlet strong, more 9v strong). Everything seems to be working fine but I've got DTV coming out on Wednesday to take a look. In the mean time any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

not grounded

Thanks everybody for your help. I had a chance today to look at everything and sure enough the system isn't grounded anywhere.

Well first of all, that is NOT an SWM "mutiswitch" per se. That part the OP has in the basement is just a simple splitter, that does NO "switching" of any kind. All it does is splits the signal, & also inserts the power to the SWM LNB in the dish itself, while keeping the power isolated from ALL the other ports.

It almost sounds like to me, that the power inserter is NOT connected to the correct port on the SWM splitter. The SWM splitter could also be bad...

Just checked and the line running from the power inserter (Signal to IRD) is plugged into the IN port on the splitter.

I did the install and I riged it to do that - keep your dirty d@ck beaters off my install - you jaggin with it costs me money - stopppppppppp!

Just for reference, the DirecTV guy was just here and turns out my SWM power inserter was at fault. I guess it was just inserting power into whatever it could get it's hands on. He claimed he didn't find anything that shocked him when he got here (about 5 minutes before I did) but there was no way that splitter didn't shock him as well, he switched out the inserter before I arrived though.

I mentioned that I thought the system had to be properly grounded and he mentioned that they "say" it does but most of the time he doesn't bother since it doesn't make a difference. I made him ground the system properly before he left just in case.

I mentioned that I thought the system had to be properly grounded and he mentioned that they "say" it does but most of the time he doesn't bother since it doesn't make a difference. I made him ground the system properly before he left just in case.

Grr! Glad you stuck to your guns on this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)