Symptoms of a Failing 622?

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
My 622 is 2+ years old.

Over the past 3 days, the following has happened twice:
1. Watching TV.
2. Screen freezes for a few seconds and then goes black.
3. The 2 lights on the front of the 622 turn off.
4. Hard drive makes a loud, whirring noise for several minutes.
5. Remote will not turn on the 622.
6. Power button on the receiver will not turn on the 622, but it will cause the hard drive to make the whirring noise for several minutes, and then the noise stops.
7. I locate Dish’s phone number and pick up the phone to call Dish, at which point the “Acquiring Satellite” message pops up on the TV, and eventually the picture comes back, and everything is fine.
8. The entire process takes about 10 minutes.

The 622 is in an open cabinet with plenty of air circulation (see attached picture), but the room temperature was around 79 degrees both times the incident happened. I put my hand on the 622, and it felt hot, but I don’t know if that was unusual or not. I think I’ve read on this forum that 622’s tend to run hot.

Suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

• 100_1787x.jpg
    100_1787x.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 186
yep hopefuly u have dishes insurance call them complane they send u new one propaly new 722..

That is pretty much what occurred to my 662. It progressively got worse to the point where I had to ship it back to DISH. I will say that they did take care of my very well... I called them late Sunday, got the replacement on Weds.

Looks like the right side of the 622 is butt up against the side of the cabinet... that's the intake side for air... you may move it inboard some to allow the fan to pull in more cool air.

Also, mine has plenty of space for air intake, & it began to pixelate a little more than it used to, but never got to the point of rebooting like yours. I took the cover off and took a can of compressed "duster" & blew the dust off the fan blades & chips while holding a vacuum to suck up what I blew off... no problems w/ the pixelation any more... may be worth a try, they're extremely sensitive to temperature...

Good point, tempVAdish.

I have moved the 622 to the left, allowing more airspace on the right. I also moved the EHD away from the left side, again allowing more airspace.

When I checked the temperatures, I saw the following, which seem to be higher than what most people on this site report:
High: 134
Low : 113
Avg.: 122

I will begin monitoring the temperatures on a daily basis.

Richard

Get a small fan of some type to blow across the unit from right to left or a case fan to pull hot air out of the left side vents.

Is there a kind of fan that I can plug into the 622's USB port?

Richard

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mobile-Fan-External-Cooling/dp/B00080G0BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1240694448&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Computers & PC Hardware[/ame]

This was what I used on my 622, it has a speed control.
Also, don't look for instant change in average temp., it takes a few days to see a drop.
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)