T-Mobile Netflix Rate Increase

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
I have been getting the Premium Netflix plan from T-Mobile for $7 a month. The cost is jumping up to $16 a month which is a big jump. It is now only $6 a month less than a stand alone account with Netflix. Are there discount for paying it by the year instead of monthly? The basic Netflix is free through T-Mobile, but it is limited to only two devices.

I have been getting the Premium Netflix plan from T-Mobile for $7 a month. The cost is jumping up to $16 a month which is a big jump. It is now only $6 a month less than a stand alone account with Netflix. Are there discount for paying it by the year instead of monthly? The basic Netflix is free through T-Mobile, but it is limited to only two devices.
I just use basic Netflix with T-mobile paying for it, because I never thought it was worth that much in the first place. :rolleyes:

I have been with T-Mobile for several years and pay a little more to them to consolidate my Netflix, Apple TV and MLB TV subscriptions. Not happy seeing the streaming services, Amazon and Netflix adding non-skippable ads. I do not want to pay more for these services to be ad free so may end up canceling them both.

I have been with T-Mobile for several years and pay a little more to them to consolidate my Netflix, Apple TV and MLB TV subscriptions. Not happy seeing the streaming services, Amazon and Netflix adding non-skippable ads. I do not want to pay more for these services to be ad free so may end up canceling them both.
I don't mind paying to avoid ads. What I mind is adding ads to as previously ad-free tier of service that I already paid for months ago.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
T-Mobile is now adapting the "Basic with Ads ($6.99)" as it's "reward", whereas, last year they supplied the "Basic No ads ($15.49)". IOW, they cheaped out on their subs! They probably justify it with coming of free Hulu with Ads, January 24...which is nearly worthless to me since I got in on the $0.99 per month/year deal.

I just use basic Netflix with T-mobile paying for it, because I never thought it was worth that much in the first place. :rolleyes:
I am tempted to switch to the new basic with ads, but I am concerned about the picture quality. I have a 75" 4k TV that I enjoy the picture quality. But I believe it will upscale the lower 1080p picture, so it may not be that noticeable.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I am tempted to switch to the new basic with ads, but I am concerned about the picture quality. I have a 75" 4k TV that I enjoy the picture quality. But I believe it will upscale the lower 1080p picture, so it may not be that noticeable.
I have a 85” Sony Z9K 8K, I can easily tell 1080P from 4K.

You will also lose HDR/Dolby Vision which makes the biggest difference.

Just move the couch back a few feet a week before you switch... then you won't notice the difference.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I honestly can't see much difference between 1080p and even HD or 4k. Try it for yourself and see if you can really tell.

4K to HD definitely isn't the jump that SD was to HD.

Optimal distance for the resolution is based on the size of the pixel.
For HD, it is 1.5 to 2.5 times the screen size. So 60 inches means sitting about 7.5 to 12.5 feet from the screen.
For 4K, it 1.0 to 1.5 times the screen size, generally why you need the bigger screen to make it worth it for the pixels, 60-inches would be 5 to 7.5 feet. Which works well in Japan as the average Tokyo apartment is about 10 ft by 10 ft ;), but in the average household, that would be a really close couch.

The resolution increase really doesn't mean too much. HDR means a lot more. The trouble with HDR, however, is that it looks best when you compare it to HD.

4K to HD definitely isn't the jump that SD was to HD.

Optimal distance for the resolution is based on the size of the pixel.
For HD, it is 1.5 to 2.5 times the screen size. So 60 inches means sitting about 7.5 to 12.5 feet from the screen.
For 4K, it 1.0 to 1.5 times the screen size, generally why you need the bigger screen to make it worth it for the pixels, 60-inches would be 5 to 7.5 feet.
So everybody needs to purchase bigger Televisions, problem solved.

I actually downsized from a 70" to a 65" with my last TV purchase. The better TVs no longer seem to come in the 70" size, and a 75" wouldn't fit in the space.
My space has 2 openings on each side of the TV, so only big enough for a 75”, I did not care that it hangs about 2” over on each side, so bought the 85”.

Or realize that the resolution isn't worth it and a 4K tv's value is in its HDR / isolated backlighting abilities.
Mine up converts 4K to 8K, well worth it.

Reactions: Bobby