Tailagting with Dish question...

OleMissRebs

Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Guy/Gals,

Newbie here when it comes to Dish Network as I've been with DirecTV for 8 years. I live in Lawrenceville, GA and I want to tailgate in Oxford, MS with my Dish setup. I wasn't able to get local channels with DirecTV in the Grove on gameday. I need to be able to pick up CBS for the local SEC games along with ESPN. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Appreciate any help.

Also I have all HD receivers in my home? Will those work for tailgating?

Thanks,

Kelly

I'm confused who you are talking to. Yes it is possibile, however you will have to "move" to Oxford for the season. That means that you will need to change your service address with Dish to an Oxford address. The problem with that is that you would then not be able to get your regular locals when at home (probably not a great plan right?). The other option is to get a separate account with just one receiver and use an Oxford address with that. When not using (not during the season) you can put it on "pause" and just have to pay $5 per month. Yet another option is to use the receiver's OTA tuner for locals while in Oxford. I've never tailgated there so I'm not sure how far away the local TV stations, but I've been able to pick up locals with just a basic set of bunny ears in Knoxville, Auburn, and Tuscaloser (oops did I spell that wrong?). That is probably what I would try first. Feel free to ask other questions. Sorry if you had a bad experience with someone else. Oh, and Go Vols! ;)

you should be able to pick up the locals for your area in the Grove. Since CBS, ABC and NBC have regional programming, on game-day the same game should be on in GA as in AL, LA, FL, and SC. The same satellites are being received in the South East so your subscription should remain the same there.

I'm not sure if you can get anything in the hills of TN around knawxvul though..ha ha ha .

Go BAMA!

So I've been researching the same problem for most of the day. The only difference is that I live in Jackson, MS. The spot beam that deliver's Jackson's standard def locals also covers Oxford and is on the standard 110 satellite. I just don't see any way for you to get locals in the Grove without changing your service address or creating a different account. To make matters worse, Oxford is too far away from any major city to pick up OTA signals except for the local PBS station. The two solutions I can think of are to get a new account/service address or use a slingbox and run it from the campus wireless network. I did that during the SELA game and as long as you leave the stream uninterupted and don't change the channel too much, it was running at about 600kbps. During non-football weekends my slingbox runs on campus at about 1.2mbps, so obviously the crowd affects the data speeds.

-Ben Mc
Hotty Toddy

you should be able to pick up the locals for your area in the Grove. Since CBS, ABC and NBC have regional programming, on game-day the same game should be on in GA as in AL, LA, FL, and SC. The same satellites are being received in the South East so your subscription should remain the same there.

I'm not sure if you can get anything in the hills of TN around knawxvul though..ha ha ha .

Go BAMA!

Typical Bama genus :D Just kidding.

You're not considering the spotbeam issue discussed above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)