Tailgater and Dish Receiver VIP211Z

S.Huggins

Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
Houston
We just purchased a new King Tailgater and Dish VIP211z receiver. Decided to try to activate the receiver here at home using the Tailagater. Went thru the screen where you select your state. Then the scan begins. After it goes through the 3 scans, it says that it couldn't find one or more of the expected satellites. Tried moving the dish and re-scanning, still the same thing. It appears to have a clear view of the southern sky. Even purchased the iPhone app that shows there the satellites are. Never got it to find the satellites and proceed to the next step.

Feel sure it is an operator error, but can not figure out what we are doing wrong.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Pretty common problem on initial startup with Tailgater. Your dealer should have set the receiver up for you and mated the Tailgater to it.

Try this. Unplug the Tailgater from the receiver. Then, turn on the receiver. When the first screen comes up, hit the menu button. Select "System Setup", "Installation", "Point Dish", then "Check Switch". Let the receiver do a complete check switch, then save the results. Unplug receiver from power, connect Tailgater, then power receiver back up. Let it go through the complete setup again.

Hope this works.

Has the receiver taken the initial software download and gone through the wizard including activation? It won't work with the Tailgater until it's been through the wizard. Like rvvaquero said above the dealer should have done all that.

Yep. I thought it was recommended to hook up a ViP211 to a fixed dish first to set it up, THEN to a Tailgater.

Reactions: JSheridan
No, it hasn't gone through the software download. We initially tried to set up the receiver with our 2007 Winegard manual satellite, but was told by technical assistance that it would have to be updated using a more updated dish. So, we bought the tailgater.

Unfortunately, we ordered the receiver from Amazon and the Tailgater from Camping World. We don't have Dish at home, so we can't hook it up there.

I appreciate all the help. We will try what rvvaquero recommended.
i would love to hear any other suggestions.
Thanks.

Actually, since the receiver already has the mobile software on it, he should probably be able to set it up with the Tailgater. He may not have the latest software, but the fact that it asked him what State he was in and proceeded with the setup, he should be able to set it up and then get the latest version.

I frequently switch between a 1000.2 dish and a Tailgater. The first time setting up with the Tailgater after using the 1000.2 the receiver seems to get confused. Once set up for the Tailgater, I don't have problems when I move to another location. It's just that initial Tailgater setup that's a problem.

A 211Z receiver comes with the base software to interact with a Tailgater. As far as aiming goes I used Satfinder HD app. You should be looking for the 129, 119, and the 110 west satellites. 110 will be the left most satellite followed by 119 and then 129, they arc in a downward slant so 110 sits highest, with 119 just a little lower and then 129 which is down a little lower. Once it locks into all three, it will download software and then restart. You then will have to call Dish to activate. If you still have problems give Dish a call. They have a special support team that take care of Tailgater issues.

I remember having some initial issues at home trying to hit the 129 satellite. At the time I wasn't using an aiming app and 129 sits a little further to the right and was being blocked by a tree branch.

Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, so we are all fixed up. Can't tell you exactly how. After talking to several people at Dish and sound a variety of things, we have reception. Hoping the next time when we are actually on a trip, it goes more smoothly. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts