Tailgater reciever keeps getting deactivated

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I got a tailgater with 211 receiver last year. This is the 4th time now that I have had the receiver get deactivated on my account. Each time, I have had to call Dish and they resent an activation signal to it. 20 minutes later it would finally work and show all my subscribed channels.

Why does this keep happening? I am not on a pay as you go plan. I just have the 211 as an additional receiver on my account. They are billing me each month so why does it stop working? I am sick of calling Dish each time this happens.

I am not sure why this happens as well. It is a pain to reactivate. I have a 211 and a tailgater that I use for my camper. I don't go camping every week in the summer so if I don't have it powered up for a couple of weeks, I have to reactivate it when I go out camping. Given that I don't always have access to wifi, this really makes it a pain. I have asked the customer rep this question several times and have never gotten an answer.

If the receiver is not connected to a stationary Dish for a few weeks it will not work properly and needs to be called in again. I would have to do this anytime I had my 211 sitting in the garage for 3 or more weeks. It's normal.

Basically the receiver needs to receive updates to keep working properly.

So does the receiver have to be plugged in to reactivate it or can I just call Dish a few days ahead of time to activate? When I am camping or tailgating, the last thing I want to do is spend 30 minutes on the phone with Dish.

You have to contact dish while it is up and running. They have to send a reactivation? signal to the receiver to activate the programming. Hence my desire for WiFi, as I use the online chat to do this. It seems quicker than calling. It is still a pain. I wish you could just reactivate via your web account so you did not have to contact dish.

Reactions: osu1991 and JR_Baas
On my pre tailgating and camping checklist of things to do is to always set up my tailgaiter and 211 a couple of days before leaving to ensure everything is up and running. That way I can call dish at my home before having to spend an hour with dish at the campsite. You can also hook it up to your dish at home so it will always have a signal to it.

If it does not receive a satellite signal for over a week it will deactivate itself. As it can not tell if its supposed to be active or not.

What it's doing is perfectly normal.

So does the receiver have to be plugged in to reactivate it or can I just call Dish a few days ahead of time to activate? When I am camping or tailgating, the last thing I want to do is spend 30 minutes on the phone with Dish.
The 211 has to receive a satellite signal to get it's activation signal. It must have AC power and a signal from one of the DISH satellites. You don't need wifi to get an activation HIT, you can call on your cellphone and request a hit from the DISH CSR. You don't have to be on the line for a half hour. If the HIT doesn't come through within a half hour just call back and request again.

You can also hook it up to your dish at home so it will always have a signal to it.
Can you do this with the Hopper system? This would be acceptable if I had to do it.

What it's doing is perfectly normal.
Your definition of normal and mine are completely different. Having to spend 30 minutes on the phone with Dish every time I want to use it is NOT normal in my opinion.

You can call on your cellphone and request a hit from the DISH CSR. You don't have to be on the line for a half hour.
I wish it were that simple but each time I called I got somebody in India that insisted on walking me through the troublshooting checklist. "What error do you have on your screen?". I tell her and then list as she reads the script of how to troubleshoot that error.

In summary, there has to be a better way of dealing with this. Does DirecTv have this same issue with their tailgating setup?

Depending on what Hopper system you have, yes you can. The Hopper 3, Dish says no. I have had a 211 running off a hybrid lnb, but was just for curiosity sake. Don't think I would leave hooked up. I would be afraid of burning up either the 211 or lnb.
When you call dish for this issue, just tell them you have had your 211 unplugged for a while and need a rehit.

Oh and yes, Directs receivers do the same thing

As do all digital cable boxes, & even the old BUD satellite receiver/decoders.
You take ANY of these boxes out of their (addressable) data stream, they eventually loose all authorizations...has been this way since addressable digital boxes have been around.

Bottom line to the OP...either find a way to keep your receiver(s) hooked up in some way to a signal at reasonable intervals (I wouldn't leave it out for more than a week myself) or keep going thru the reactivation ritual. There are several ways to do this while your receiver is "back home" (separate dish, switches, etc.) & aren't that hard or expensive to accomplish.

The reason the 211z tailgater receiver needs to be powered on is that the receiver has to be activated every time that the receiver has been unplugged for more than 2 to 3 weeks and then it will want you to call dish customer service because it is equipped with an Receiver Activation Program that you have to go through every time you have to plug it in.

Your definition of normal and mine are completely different. Having to spend 30 minutes on the phone with Dish every time I want to use it is NOT normal in my opinion.
According to Dictionary.com

normal

adjective
1.conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
2.serving to establish a standard.

noun
1. the average or mean:
2. the standard or type.

Can you do this with the Hopper system? This would be acceptable if I had to do it.

I wish it were that simple but each time I called I got somebody in India that insisted on walking me through the troublshooting checklist. "What error do you have on your screen?". I tell her and then list as she reads the script of how to troubleshoot that error.

In summary, there has to be a better way of dealing with this. Does DirecTv have this same issue with their tailgating setup?

I've been doing this for years and it's really not a big deal. It should just be a part of your preparations. It's simple, hook up the receiver to your dish antenna at home and then do an online chat with Dish. All you have to do is tell them you need to activate your purchased 211 receiver for your tailgater. Give them the numbers off the receiver and within a few minutes it's activated again. The great thing with the chat is that it's easier to multitask and not feel like you're wasting time.

Reactions: charlesrshell
probably easier to just keep it connected all the time.

a buddy of mine has dish, he unplugs everything all the time.

must fear a fire. his home is filled with K&T wire. with 30 amp fuses:(

he complained to me about having deactivated receivers

dish does this to prevent stealing

It's simple, hook up the receiver to your dish antenna at home and then do an online chat with Dish.
Do you have the Hopper system?

All you have to do is tell them you need to activate your purchased 211 receiver for your tailgater. Give them the numbers off the receiver and within a few minutes it's activated again. The great thing with the chat is that it's easier to multitask and not feel like you're wasting time.
This sounds like you are on the pay as you go option with the tailgater? Why would I need to give them the numbers off the receiver when it is in my account?

I was hoping to mount the 211 in my camper and leave it there. I didn't really want to have to disconnect and drag it in the house every time. But, it sounds like if I do this then I am stuck calling dish every time I camp and want to use the tailgater?

As an alternative, I could handle hooking the 211 up to my home system just to keep it active but I don't know how to do this with the Hopper system.

I was hoping to mount the 211 in my camper and leave it there. I didn't really want to have to disconnect and drag it in the house every time. But, it sounds like if I do this then I am stuck calling dish every time I camp and want to use the tailgater?

As an alternative, I could handle hooking the 211 up to my home system just to keep it active but I don't know how to do this with the Hopper system.
H3 or HWS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)