Tailgating help with Slimline SL3 LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gopokes001

Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
texas
Hey Guys. I need some advice. I just purchased a Slimline Direct TV SL3 LNB KAKU SLIM LINE dish for tailgating purposes. I had a regular SD dish last 2 years and had no issues setting it up. I just got a new Direct tv h21 receiver. I cant seem to get a signal. I am not sure which option to choose as well when setting it up for the Dish. I have been choosing Slimline 3 and 5 but I cant seem to get a signal. Also, it has 4 cables coming out of the LNB's. Can I use any of them as it has a built in multiswitch. Has anyone out there went through this process and have any suggestions to help. I am used to the old receiver type and have never had this issue before. This one I know is going to be tough to pinpoint but I didnt realize it was this hard. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Hey Guys. I need some advice. I just purchased a Slimline Direct TV SL3 LNB KAKU SLIM LINE dish for tailgating purposes. I had a regular SD dish last 2 years and had no issues setting it up. I just got a new Direct tv h21 receiver. I cant seem to get a signal. I am not sure which option to choose as well when setting it up for the Dish. I have been choosing Slimline 3 and 5 but I cant seem to get a signal. Also, it has 4 cables coming out of the LNB's. Can I use any of them as it has a built in multiswitch. Has anyone out there went through this process and have any suggestions to help. I am used to the old receiver type and have never had this issue before. This one I know is going to be tough to pinpoint but I didnt realize it was this hard. Thanks for any advice.

Choose the Slimline 3 if thats an option.
I would check, but seeing I'm using a SWM set up now, I cannot go in and change the settings without disconnecting my set up. (SWM auto detects)
As for the cables, you can connect them to any of the 4 lugs.

I hope your trying this at home first.

Make sure your tripod (I'm guessing your using a tripod) is plumb, this is critcal.
You should be able to pre set your elevation and your tilt ahead of time, these numbers will be close STARTING points.
When you move your dish, move it very slowly and wait a few seconds for a response.
Remember the sats are 23,000 miles up in the air, so a very slight move will move a lot up there.

Also, are you in a clear line of sight position at the moment ?

Are you planning on going HD at your tailgates this year ?
IF Not , you can use the other dish still.

Thank you. That actually does help alot. I am doing a practice run at the house so I will use your advice. I did find a neighbor with a direct tv dish on their home and will use that as a general guide as well. The biggest issue I have is setting up my Azimuth. I need to get a compass. I do plan on using HD this year. I do have a clear sight so I will start with what you are telling me and once again. I appreciate your Help.

O-H

Thank you. That actually does help alot. I am doing a practice run at the house so I will use your advice. I did find a neighbor with a direct tv dish on their home and will use that as a general guide as well. The biggest issue I have is setting up my Azimuth. I need to get a compass. I do plan on using HD this year. I do have a clear sight so I will start with what you are telling me and once again. I appreciate your Help.

O-H

I-O

You should definately have a compass, it will help get you in the rigth spot for starting.
You don't need a real expensive on, as long as it has degrees on it.
You should be able to get your co ordinates off the recvr screen.

O-H

for the az ... just look at the neighbor dish & point the same way

Status
Please reply by conversation.