Taking Dish to my new home!

I joined my HOA board and put up an antenna. When one member said I was driving down his property value, I passed out a slip of paper with OTARD links and a very brief description of my rights.

A few more TV antennas went up after that.

I also can't imagine not getting OTA from Tampa, but that's what the Antenna Web said about my location! I'm pretty sure that the HOA will not allow external TV antennas. When I get the chance, I'll talk to some of my neighbors, and see what they do for TV, but I think Spectrum pretty much has the majority of the market in this area!
I think Verizon Fios is big around Tampa too. I liked the their DVR but of course no match to the Hopper 3. Verizon has fast Internet too.

I built my house 20 years ago, and it's located Upstate NY in a rural area. Cable was available at that time for TV only, and internet was tel line dial up! Cable was analog, and even though there were only standard def CRT tvs, the cable picture was really terrible, and I lived with it for almost 3 years. Finally, someone suggested Sat TV, and I looked into Dish. Dish, for the first year or so was not all fun and games. I received with my contract 2 Dishplayer 7200 DVRs. Every morning, when I turned the tv on to watch the news, before I could, I had to call customer service and waste an hour or more going through pulling the power cord, rebooting the DVR etc., until I learned all the tricks myself. Even when I did that, recordings were lost, cut in half, or the last 10 mins were chopped off. It was so bad that Dish had a class action lawsuit against them for the Dishplayers!
No, I wasn't pretty pleased, but it was still better then cable, and if I remember correctly, better then Direct TV at the time!
And of course, I was still stuck with a contract! I don't know how cable TV is there now, but I finally was able to get TW high speed internet several years later. Once I was off contract, I did everything possible to stay off, but said to myself, if I get tired of playing with DVRs to watch TV, I could always leave. I had one of the first HD DVRs, the 642 MPEG2 with VOOM. One of the first DVRs that didn't give me grief, but they went to MPEG4, and the VIP622. I went through at least 2 of those, and was given a VIP722 which is pretty reliable. But every time I have to start with new equipment, it's a new adventure!
Finally, for the new house, I want to get a UHD TV(after seeing a neighbors, watching YouTube 4K) and started to bring myself up to speed about what type of programming is available for it.
I was very disappointed to find out that Dish does not offer any of their own 4K channels, and that the Hopper3 is just a "smart" DVR, which offers a pass through of 3rd party streaming video services(Netflix,etc), which any modern smart TV can do!
This is my story, and I'm sticking to it! :biggrin
They have occasional(once per week) events on channel 540, and 4K VODs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts