Taking shows from my DVR and putting them on my iPod

Hitman7s

Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Is this even possible?

I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff, so if someone would please be willing to help me out, I would appreciate it.

I have a VIP722. I keep looking as the USB port on the front of the thing, but I have no idea what to do to get these shows on the iPod.

Thanks!

Is this even possible?

I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff, so if someone would please be willing to help me out, I would appreciate it.

I have a VIP722. I keep looking as the USB port on the front of the thing, but I have no idea what to do to get these shows on the iPod.

Thanks!
No, can not be done. Files on the hard drive are encrypted for DRM.

You can transfer files from a 622/722 to an Archos PMP, but not to an iPod. You can copy them in real-time with video capture stuff though.

Is this even possible?
Yes it is. For standard def shows (544X480 mpeg-2) you can rip them from the internal hdd via PVRExplorer. Visit the yahoo group by that name. PVRExplorer does not currently understand mpeg-4, but with a little knowledge, that might also be made to work. The only exceptions I know about are HBO programs. HBO prevailed upon Dish to encrypt their shows even on the internal hdd to prevent exactly what you are trying to do.

Once you have the mpg file on your computer, convert it for use by your iPod using your favorite conversion software.

Yes it is. For standard def shows (544X480 mpeg-2) you can rip them from the internal hdd via PVRExplorer. Visit the yahoo group by that name. PVRExplorer does not currently understand mpeg-4, but with a little knowledge, that might also be made to work. The only exceptions I know about are HBO programs. HBO prevailed upon Dish to encrypt their shows even on the internal hdd to prevent exactly what you are trying to do.

Once you have the mpg file on your computer, convert it for use by your iPod using your favorite conversion software.

Thanks, that will work fine.

It is so ridiculous, but I want to do it to bring episodes of Sesame Street in the car. I have a 2 year old, and there are specific episodes....meh....Thanks a ton!

It is so ridiculous, but I want to do it to bring episodes of Sesame Street in the car. I have a 2 year old, and there are specific episodes...
Understand. In my case I have a 3.5 yo and a 30gb Archos 404. :)

I have used the USBVIDBOX that comes with VHS to DVD 3.0. Connect an S-Video and L/R audio cables, then capture with Windows Movie Maker on Windows XP. Does a good job, and you can save in widescreen (not HD, of course)

There are certainly a few (convoluted) ways to accomplish this but none are "direct". You have to get them off of the DVR first. One method not mentioned is to record them to a DVD-Recorder. Take that disc to your PC, copy the data to the PC, re-encode, and then transfer them to the iPod. If you own a DVD-Recorder already and are willing to invest a number of hours, maybe it's worthwhile....