Talk to text

the mack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
HOCKEYTOWN
Is there a way to improve the talk to text on the iphone? It really sucks and rarely gets it right. My $50 pos android works way way better. Easier just to type it out
While I am at it siri is a DUMB BITCH total waste of time searching for info with her.

Reactions: HipKat
Ditch the iPhone and go back to Google Assistant. Or, maybe get the ?Google Assistant on your iPhone. I don't think you can override the "Hey Siri" or assign the assistant to the Home button, but it's a thought.

I don't have too many issues with Siri myself, more with the Spellcheck. I have a freeing named Clete and iOS constantly replaces his name with "Crete".

Reactions: the mack
It fails often with foreign accents and dialects. Proper diction and speaking more slowly improves accuracy. My year working at an FM station reading the news when I was twenty helps. If I miss pronounced one word the station manager would catch it and lecture me.

Ok, typing now, I see one error above.

Reactions: the mack and Foxbat
It fails often with foreign accents and dialects. Proper diction and speaking more slowly improves accuracy.
My brother-in-law (who works for Apple) was born in Oregon and spent some time in Florida and speaks quite "normally" (unaffected) but Siri can't accurately transcribe much of what he says. Raising the pitch of his voice seems to help some. Talking slower only makes it more comical to watch him struggle. Using a sing-song Indian accent gives marginally better results. Fun for hours.

The TS's lament is valid and Siri really can be much more trouble than it is worth. It seems unlikely that Apple would allow an alternative for across the board Siri replacement.

I rarely use search with Siri as it used to fail on most searches I do. I wasn't aware that Siri does speech to text for texting except in Car Play. I usually turn on the microphone on the keyboard which I thought was local software conversion.

For search always use Google. This morning at Breakfast we were watching a flock of birds cruising near the water and then diving into the ship's wake and coming up with a small fish to eat. Everyone was wondering what those birds were. So I opened up Chrome and spoke- "What birds dive underwater in the southern Caribbean." Google quickly produced about 7 different species with images so it was easy to identify the Gannet. Search was never so easy! I never think to ask Siri. I'll give it a try sometime.

Reactions: the mack and Foxbat
I am using the text keyboard mic for talk to text as well , not siri.

I have no idea what all the hype is about a iPhone.
Everyone I know has one but I can't find one thing I like better then a android other then the ipod feature because I could transfer my 1000 songs from my ipod.
Only reason I got it is because my Clarion radio in my boat is geared more towards it then a android phone.
They all love face time but I don't always want people to see my surroundings, that and it makes me look way fatter then I really am. (I think anyway.:biggrin)

They all love face time but I don't always want people to see my surroundings, that and it makes me look way fatter then I really am. (I think anyway.:biggrin)
FaceTime Audio, then. Decline the video option, uses less data as well. Sometimes this works better than an actual phone call, at least in my use.

I have no idea what all the hype is about a iPhone.

I had an android phone several years ago and it was just fine as a phone / camera. I also had a Sony android smart watch. But when Apple showed it's first Apple watch I ordered one immediately as well as an iphone. While I am a native PC guy, I understand the advantage of the Apple infrastructure. It's not so much about the technology, but more about a system that everything easily works in cooperation with many accessories and a local community like your family. The support is fantastic as evidenced by our recent experience with a smashed screen that a tech at the Apple store replaced in an hour. Third party accessories are voluminous. And since my whole family all use iphones and Apple watches, ipads, and iMacs, using features like Air Drop to quickly transfer contact info and Face time where we stayed in touch with our grandkids while in South America at no cost was great. Other things I now do on my Xs Max with half a TB of storage is edit 6K 360 video live streaming from my 360 cameras. This works flawlessly on the latest iphones but the apps lack many features on android.

I guess if all you want is a basic smartphone to text and monitor facebook twitter and a few games and a nice camera, the android phones are adequate, but for all the really fun stuff, iphone offers quite a bit more and it is flawlessly easy although some things may seem awkward like file transfers. I'm still amazed at how much I can do with the lightning connection using 3rd party stuff. Bet you didn't know you can plug in an SD card for added storage on an iphone with a Lightning plug adapter. How about external XLR professional audio equipment? Or a 360 VR 3D camera?

I don't use the iphone for music. However I have a huge library of audio books that I can off load to my Apple watch and control from it, using air pods.

When it comes to serious video editing, give me a powerful PC anyday. But basic stay in touch with the family and the world, iphone just does it easier and better.

I very rarely use Siri. Almost worthless. I wish I could use Alexa on my iPhone instead.

I just don’t bother using talk to text.

But I’m trying it now.

Well, that worked.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I mostly use talk to text when traveling and post with the iphone. Easier than that little keypad. Siri does work well in my car with Car Play. Considering the keypad is disabled, asking Siri is the only choice while driving. Being old school, I just feel silly talking to a computer like it is a real person.

I had an android phone several years ago and it was just fine as a phone / camera. I also had a Sony android smart watch. But when Apple showed it's first Apple watch I ordered one immediately as well as an iphone. While I am a native PC guy, I understand the advantage of the Apple infrastructure. It's not so much about the technology, but more about a system that everything easily works in cooperation with many accessories and a local community like your family. The support is fantastic as evidenced by our recent experience with a smashed screen that a tech at the Apple store replaced in an hour. Third party accessories are voluminous. And since my whole family all use iphones and Apple watches, ipads, and iMacs, using features like Air Drop to quickly transfer contact info and Face time where we stayed in touch with our grandkids while in South America at no cost was great. Other things I now do on my Xs Max with half a TB of storage is edit 6K 360 video live streaming from my 360 cameras. This works flawlessly on the latest iphones but the apps lack many features on android.

I guess if all you want is a basic smartphone to text and monitor facebook twitter and a few games and a nice camera, the android phones are adequate, but for all the really fun stuff, iphone offers quite a bit more and it is flawlessly easy although some things may seem awkward like file transfers. I'm still amazed at how much I can do with the lightning connection using 3rd party stuff. Bet you didn't know you can plug in an SD card for added storage on an iphone with a Lightning plug adapter. How about external XLR professional audio equipment? Or a 360 VR 3D camera?

I don't use the iphone for music. However I have a huge library of audio books that I can off load to my Apple watch and control from it, using air pods.

When it comes to serious video editing, give me a powerful PC anyday. But basic stay in touch with the family and the world, iphone just does it easier and better.
I have 128 gb in my Samsung and another 512 gb on an internal microcard . Plenty for me with no cords hanging out.

Re Android , they have made light-years of improvement in the last couple years with their tight integration of the Google suite of services

And the newest cameras are spectacular

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

Good. Because when I buy my next phone, say, in four years, I doubt I’ll be willing to pay Apple prices. This last round was a killer.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

I've owned nothing but Android phones, mostly Motorola. I've been using speech to text for several years and it is about 95% accurate. However, I needed a new phone. My Moto G5 is about three years old and the last security update was 1 1/2 years ago. Android phones are getting so big.

I've always admired iPhones for their small size, just never wanted to pay the price, not when I can get a Moto for $200. Anyway, when this new SE 2 came out it got my attention. Perfect size, decent price, updates for another five years probably. I use Ok Google for everything, I mean I even put events on my calendar and make grocery lists with it. I was really hesitant to cross over to the dark side with Siri.

When Walmart put the SE on sale for $200, that's $8 a month for 24 months, I said "what the hell". If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it and get a phablet.

I am pleasantly surprised. Siri and I get along wonderfully, much better than either of my wives did. I do try to use clear diction, but she really grabs everything I say. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat
New year, new question: has anyone come across a speech-to-text App that could be used to help someone who has severe hearing damage communicate?

My Father-in-Law has lost his hearing after decades of woodworking in his basement shop and not wearing any hearing protection. He has been through multiple generations of hearing aids, and now we are wearing masks which removes the visual clues of mouth and lip motion he has used to help augment his recognition.

His eyesight appears to be pretty good, so reading the text of what someone is saying would be an aid that he could use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)