Tampa Bay DOCSIS 3.0 Launched?!?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jaye

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
As of November 7th at 6:00 AM the Tampa Bay area now has DOCSIS 3.0(they like to call it powerboost). Speed tests now show 31Mbps download and close to 2500 kbps on upload speed. Now all we need to even compete against local Verizon FIOS and even local Comcast for the southshore area is getting their act together. Now all we need is Mystro, "100 HD Channels", HD PPV/VOD selection that is there for more than just show and actually show us some real content. I can go on about these promises, some even sent with bills during late Fall 200.

More info can be found here...

apps.tampabay.mybrighthouse.com/InfoMail/images/PB_EUpdate.jpg

Powerboost isn't the samething as DOCSIS 3.0 and as of right now the Tampa Bay area hasn't yet upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 yet but its coming sooner rather than later.

Powerboost just spreads unused bandwidth at the specific times customers download a file for short periods of time. Most customers aren't downloading at the sametime so powerboost gives a nice big jump in speed for ten seconds or so by using all the unused bandwidth at the time of the downloads.

I figured this wasn't DOCSIS 3.0 and some hack / mod to the current system...I can go on and on of questions pertaining to brighthouse and what they should/could do. I am wondering if any of the true insiders that work with upper level techs or engineers in this market could fill us in on how they are going to offer a competitive product to local and national answers that either have upgraded current infrastructure or started from the ground up....DirecTV, Dish Network, Comcast, Verizon, hell...even Knology is pulling ahead with more HD, VOD, and Box GUI....

What happened to Mystro/SDV/100 HD Channels....this hacked SARA hybrid to add features not built into the original have made it totally unstable with that of the looks still reminiscent of Prodigy Classic Online, it makes me wonder if Brighthouse even understands the product in itself is an interactive advertisement in an area that is served mainly by Brighthouse, Verizon, Comcast, and Knology to a lesser extent. Satellite based services such as DirecTV and Dish Network definitely have to be creating some type of dent especially with two-way services offered with broadband widely available and codec compression reaching higher quality with lower bandwidth needed.

Some type of answer with substance and more than something I can find out from a phone tech...

Regarding Powerboost, how does BHN electronically "decide" "hey, this is a big download--I'll turn on powerboost?" Is it a byte-count within a certain period or what?

Powerboost will allow you to "burst" for a certain length of time, depending on traffic in your node. If no one else is trying to use the "burst" you could use it for your whole download. Depending on traffic in your node, your speed will go up or down. Its on a node to node basis based on traffic. At 2AM you possibly could use the powerboost the whole time. During peak hours it may only work for a few mins at a time. The cards are programmed to automatically look at free bandwidth, look at how many people are using that card and assign the bandwidth "as needed"

PowerBoost is also working in Orlando, although its not being advertised yet as its only in testing modes.

I have Turbo level inet I am paying for--15Mbps I think. A speedtest.net to the Orlando server from Brevard just returned 3705 kbps DL. Guess turboboost didn't kick in, huh? Sure appreciate all this free extra speed BNH is giving me.

Until they replace your cable modem with a docsis 3.0 version you would not be able to take advantage of the new technology. When ever it arrives.

I have Turbo level inet I am paying for--15Mbps I think. A speedtest.net to the Orlando server from Brevard just returned 3705 kbps DL. Guess turboboost didn't kick in, huh? Sure appreciate all this free extra speed BNH is giving me.

The Orlando server at speedtest.net sucks.. I use Atlanta it always out performs Orlando..

FDN Communications has very sh!tty routing.

Did you try Atlanta? The first thing you should always do when you get a bad speed test is to try another source, thats the only way to say "hey its my end" or "hey its their end"

PM me your modem mac address I can check the network traffic to see if thats an issue for you as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts