Tampa Locals Outage

yanks2402

Enjoying FiOS TV
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
Is anyone else in the Tampa Bay area experiencing an outage with their locals.

I in a way expected this to happen later with Charley on its way (ironic huh :yes ), but as I look out the window it is still sunny out!

Is this a dish problem or a problem at the local stations?

Have you tried to call any of the tech or general info numbers for your locals? The uplink facility may be getting hit or something, but a quick local phone call might answer your question faster.

I am here in tampa too. great time for dish to lose local with the hurricane hours away. they have currently put up orlando channels in their place and we still get tampa abc. i had to take down all my satellites but one. i can't get to it. if we get the 100 mile winds, that thing is going to be ripped off the roof. good luck to everyone in the bay area.

korsjs said:
I am here in tampa too. great time for dish to lose local with the hurricane hours away. they have currently put up orlando channels in their place and we still get tampa abc. i had to take down all my satellites but one. i can't get to it. if we get the 100 mile winds, that thing is going to be ripped off the roof. good luck to everyone in the bay area.

Dish did not "lose" the locals, they went off the air so that all personnel could evacuate. Reported widely on radio.

What happens if a storm takes out your SuperDish? Will DishNetwork replace it for free or at a reduced price. My home owners insurance will not cover it. What is retail for a SuperDish anyway? My thoughts and prayers go with everyone in Charlies path.

Take care guys, my wife's aunt lives in Oldsmar (I hope I spelled it correctly ;) ) about a block from old Tampa Bay and my parents own a Winter home half way between Naples and Ft Myers and I have other Family members in Orlando, so I too am watching this storm closely. It appears the eye may be comming in near Ft Myers now and it is now a category 4, I am afraid it is going to be bad and take some roofs off+. I will be praying for you guys in FL, the West coast especially.

ByrdWatcher said:
What happens if a storm takes out your SuperDish? Will DishNetwork replace it for free or at a reduced price. My home owners insurance will not cover it. What is retail for a SuperDish anyway? My thoughts and prayers go with everyone in Charlies path.
No, they won't help you replace it. You don't say how it's mounted, but if it were me, I'd take a magic marker and draw alignment lines on whatever it takes and pull the dish down, then put it back up by lining up the marks. You could get lucky and nail it right off the bat, but it'll probably take a little tweaking.

Record your signal strength numbers for TP 11 & 12 on all birds before you drop the dish - so you can tell if you remounted it correctly.

Heck! You might even get better numbers when you remount it - some installers are kinda sloppy. :)

I would also STRONGLY recommend taking down all satellite dishes, particularly SuperDishes and other dishes around that size because it has 8 times the windload than the smaller 18" dishes. They will for sure get blown away and rip up part of the roof with it in some cases. Forget about Dish Network replacing it foir free, aint gonna happen. They are $200+ and thats not counting installation so it could end up costing you $300+ getting it replaced. With winds in the hurricane currently at 145 mph sustained (gusts would be higher than that) in the center of the hurricane I wouldnt have anything like that on my home. Wind speeds are already over 80 mph in some cases inland and getting stronger.

They also are saying Charlie will likely stay hurricane strength as it crosses the state even into Orlando and Daytona Beach where they expect it to enter the Atlantic so you folks on the East coast need to watch this storm too. The funny thing is that my wife's aunt and her family evacuated to Orlando for higher ground, but now Orlando may get more wind and rain from Charlie then Tampa, can't win for loosing I guess :shrug: .

Just talked to son north of Orlando... he's watching power lines and transformers "blow up" every 3 to 4 seconds to his south.

I've been watching Charlie all evening on internet/NWS rader... came ashore near Ft. Myers, made a bee-line for Orlando (there now), Daytona Beach will be next.

Gust to 82kts (94MPH) at MCO (Orlando Intl. Airport) within past hour.

Update: Wind 91kts (105MPH) at 21:17 EDT
(if my decoding skills are working properly)

Aviation (Metar) weather report. Wind speeds are in knots.
SPECI KMCO 140117Z AUTO 16067G82KT 2SM R36R/5500VP6000FT RA BR BKN008 OVC011 23/23 RMK AO2 PK WND 12091/0105 P0029 TSNO $
SPECI KMCO 140127Z AUTO 19060G80KT 5SM BR OVC008 23/23 RMK AO2 PK WND 12091/0105 RAE23 P0030 TSNO $

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)