Target will announce BR support tomorrow

Originally Posted by navychop
I believe in retrospect from a couple of years from now, people will wonder how anyone could have possibly thought HD DVD had a chance. And 2 years after that, few will even remember the name.

The same was said about Beta:rolleyes:...and we all know how that turned up...;)

Interesting because VHS won over Betamax, but VHS was an inferior technology. Betamax was forgotten by consumers, but I understand that Betamax was used for a long time in professional newscasting, though forgotten for consumer video.

This time the apparent winner (Blu-Ray) IS the superior technology. But HD-DVD may have a long life in certain circles and for computer backups, etc. BD appears the winner of consumer video. All the stores are talking it up in the last couple of weeks and saying openly that BD is the clear winner. Very few speak of a "war" anymore.

The "war zone forum" may shut down pretty soon.

Interesting because VHS won over Betamax, but VHS was an inferior technology. Betamax was forgotten by consumers, but I understand that Betamax was used for a long time in professional newscasting, though forgotten for consumer video.

This time the apparent winner (Blu-Ray) IS the superior technology. But HD-DVD may have a long life in certain circles and for computer backups, etc. BD appears the winner of consumer video. All the stores are talking it up in the last couple of weeks and saying openly that BD is the clear winner. Very few speak of a "war" anymore.

All the stores that are 'talking it up' were paid to do so....

Doesnt that concern anyone? Our choice are being restriced and we the concsumer dont even have a chance to choose...

This bodes badly for all consumers in so many different ways.....as does the DRM used by BD but that is another story.

Apparantly no one told all those consumers that are snatching up the 360 HDDVD drive or all those consumers that have positioned Toshiba to have a 70 to 30 lead in stand alone player sales.
This whole format war is getting very old and it's only the first round.
What has Bluray won?, 0.60% share of movie disc sales. Come on guys, get real.

Beta lasted what, ten years, more or less, in some form? HD DVD will have maybe 2 years. More easily forgotten. And BD with it's higher capacity will be the backup medium of choice for computers, compared to HD DVD.

Tiny market share of all discs, but still enough to decide the war. With Blu-ray titles outselling HD DVD titles between 2 to 1 and 3 to 1, and the best Blu-ray titles yet to be released, it's becoming clear. Since HD DVD is reduced to chanting that they sell more dedicated players, and down playing the fact that far more devices play Blu-ray than HD DVD today, it's ever more apparent. I prefer dedicated players too, but might buy a PS3 based on cost and use as a home media center. It doesn't matter if it's dedicated, it matters if it plays the selected disc. Pretty pathetic, to grasp at a statement that while true, is still misleading. And little word games in response to this post and others won't matter a bit.

Blu-ray sells 2 or 3 times as many movies as HD DVD. And that's what people buy players for. They don't buy players just because they're cheap, or an end in themselves. And that might explain why Toshiba was unable to sell as many players as they hoped, even after increasing their own bloodbath by dropping the prices again.

Universal has older movies. These may have been successful, but those that wanted them have already bought them in DVD form. Most of the newest hits are coming out on Blu-ray. People are more likely to buy recent movies. They've had plenty of opportunity to buy the old movies as DVDs.

Yeah, "real." It's going to be real "real" by the end of the year.

Beta lasted what, ten years, more or less, in some form? HD DVD will have maybe 2 years. More easily forgotten. And BD with it's higher capacity will be the backup medium of choice for computers, compared to HD DVD.

Tiny market share of all discs, but still enough to decide the war. With Blu-ray titles outselling HD DVD titles between 2 to 1 and 3 to 1, and the best Blu-ray titles yet to be released, it's becoming clear. Since HD DVD is reduced to chanting that they sell more dedicated players, and down playing the fact that far more devices play Blu-ray than HD DVD today, it's ever more apparent. I prefer dedicated players too, but might buy a PS3 based on cost and use as a home media center. It doesn't matter if it's dedicated, it matters if it plays the selected disc. Pretty pathetic, to grasp at a statement that while true, is still misleading. And little word games in response to this post and others won't matter a bit.

Blu-ray sells 2 or 3 times as many movies as HD DVD. And that's what people buy players for. They don't buy players just because they're cheap, or an end in themselves. And that might explain why Toshiba was unable to sell as many players as they hoped, even after increasing their own bloodbath by dropping the prices again.

Universal has older movies. These may have been successful, but those that wanted them have already bought them in DVD form. Most of the newest hits are coming out on Blu-ray. People are more likely to buy recent movies. They've had plenty of opportunity to buy the old movies as DVDs.

Yeah, "real." It's going to be real "real" by the end of the year.

Quite the expert at predictions. Five BD movies and no player does not make you an expert (cart before the horse?). You better polish your crystal ball, it's getting a little cloudy. You really need to go over your movie stats and keep the FUD factor at a minimum. War over at the end of year, again get real.

Hate to break it to all you youngns here but what won the Beta/VHS 'war' was price...nothing more...nothing less...;)

What you are witnessing is history repeating itself...with the ONLY difference this time around...is the internet...:p

I never said over by the end of the year. Just more obvious. Trends visible are obvious, and independent of ownership. Latest Nielson is 2 to 1, Blu-ray over HD DVD.

I never said over by the end of the year. Just more obvious. Trends visible are obvious, and independent of ownership. Latest Nielson is 2 to 1, Blu-ray over HD DVD.

Something is 'fishy' about this and I just cant say what it is....There are more HD-DVD players on the market BUT BD sales more movies?

Huh?

Heres something interesting. Up until now Target has always had HDDVD players on their website and NO blu ray standalones.

Here's what you have when you click the HDDVD players link under electronics:

Target : Electronics : DVD Players + Video : HD DVD Players

Heres what you have when you click the Blu Ray link:

Target : Electronics : DVD Players + Video : Blu-Ray Disk Players

Am I looking to far into, maybe so, but up until now HDDVD owned the site, now they arent even on there.

You're looking to far. They are updating the site for the Toshiba G3 HDDVD players coming Oct.1.

You're looking to far. They are updating the site for the Toshiba G3 HDDVD players coming Oct.1.

Oct 1 is a far way away not to be selling any hddvd player. if your a retailer you sell what you got until you dont have it any more, otherwise your not making money on that item and its just taking up space in you warehouse.

Oct 1 is a far way away not to be selling any hddvd player. if your a retailer you sell what you got until you dont have it any more, otherwise your not making money on that item and its just taking up space in you warehouse.

That was my thinking, why stop selling them now.

Amazon pulled their G3 stuff because it obviously wasnt time to show it, BUT they are still selling G2's ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts