Tbs Hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
All I can say is yesterday Baseball playoff games lived up to the hype, it almost makes up for all stetching they do with their rerun programming. Some shots from TBS left me stunned I didn't know the pq was that clear. So no more bad mouthing TBS for their HD channel I was impressed. Cant wait for the NBA to begin on TNT.

My sound seems to be off by a tiny bit. I can definitely notice the difference when I switch to channel 95 and watch the game (and commercials) there. Anyone else notice this? Or maybe Dane Cook just lip syncs...

Did anyone else see occasional stepping or freezing of the video? I watched the Diamondbacks/Cubs game and about a half dozen times I had the picture freeze for just a second and then catch up. I've only had D* 3 days and I wonder if it's my setup or something in the bigger system.

I watched the highlights this morning on Sportscenter and there seemed to be shadows on everything from the ball to the players, from the D-backs/ Cubs game. The other games I watched were good though.

On my TV, the picture on 94 (or 95, I forget which one had the TBS-HD feed) had a MUCH better pic (and sound for that matter) than the new TBS-HD channel in the 200 range. Don't know why. I watched most of the Red Sox-Angels game on the channel in the 200s never thinking to try the one in the 90s. Around the 8th inning I checked it and was shocked at how much clearer it was. Anyone else see the same thing?

TBS HD on both 95 and 200's confirmed how much better mpeg4 is over mpeg2. It was obvious watching channel 95 (mpeg2) how terrible it was in dealing with fast moving scenes - the pixelation was TERRIBLE. I cannot stand to watch basketball on TNT HD (in the 70's) or for that matter the concerts they show in the low 100's. Have you seen the what the flash of lights look like during a concert - a bunch of huge pixel blocks. Or when the Bulls are in a fast break and the camera is panning quickly to cover the action - you can't even see the players clearly until the camera stops moving. Watching MLB on TBS HD in mpeg4 (in the 200's) restored my faith in compressed HD over satellite. During the same fast moving scenes, mpeg4 didn't pixelate the scenes. Instead, it may get a little grainy or soft, but overall, it still looked spectacular. I am not saying mpeg4 is better than mpeg2 on stationary scenes or slow moving scenes, just the fast scenes, which is basically the foundation for any sporting event or action flick, so unless you only are interested in watching Sunrise Earth, mpeg4 is a blessing.

I love threads like this multiple people watching the same program and getting different answers as to witch channel looks letter. PQ is just something that's in the eye of he beholder, what may be good for you isn't for someone else. Because of this there will alway be the battle of what provider has the best PQ, the battle wages on.

TBS HD on both 95 and 200's confirmed how much better mpeg4 is over mpeg2. It was obvious watching channel 95 (mpeg2) how terrible it was in dealing with fast moving scenes - the pixelation was TERRIBLE. I cannot stand to watch basketball on TNT HD (in the 70's) or for that matter the concerts they show in the low 100's. Have you seen the what the flash of lights look like during a concert - a bunch of huge pixel blocks. Or when the Bulls are in a fast break and the camera is panning quickly to cover the action - you can't even see the players clearly until the camera stops moving. Watching MLB on TBS HD in mpeg4 (in the 200's) restored my faith in compressed HD over satellite. During the same fast moving scenes, mpeg4 didn't pixelate the scenes. Instead, it may get a little grainy or soft, but overall, it still looked spectacular. I am not saying mpeg4 is better than mpeg2 on stationary scenes or slow moving scenes, just the fast scenes, which is basically the foundation for any sporting event or action flick, so unless you only are interested in watching Sunrise Earth, mpeg4 is a blessing.

I agree completely - not sure if anyone noticed, but we had a chance last night to see the same game at the same time on TNT and TBS, and the TBS feed was clearer, and had better color saturation, but the real difference was when there was motion. Major pixelation on TNT and none or almost none on TBS...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Question about Portland Or HD locals

Proper TV and HD Receiver Setup Advice Needed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)