Tbs Hd

sammy4041

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
I was looking at the TBS website. Unless I was looking at it the wrong way, it shows some non braves games that will be televised. Is this true? Has this always been the case.

Since we're on the topic of TBS HD, why is it that TNT seems to broadcast most of their movies and tv shows in high definition, but TBS doesn't do it like that? Aren't they owned by the same company?

Last edited:
Since we're on the topic of TBS HD, why is it that TNT seems to broadcast most of their movies and tv shows, but TBS doesn't do it like that? Aren't they owned by the same company?

No answer for that, I know there has been countless forums and complaints about this.

Wait till baseball starts. If they don't have those in HD the Sh$% will hit the fan I am sure.

So will they still show all the braves or has this taken over those broadcasts.
TBS is trying to expand their sports coverage and have dropped the full coverage of Braves games and will instead show a number of different teams. The days of the Braves having all their home games on National TV are over. Sad for Braves fans. First they killed off Turner South, now the Braves are owned by someone else and TBS is not showing all their games.

Did anyone notice this afternoon (may still be doing it now), that the TBS logo isn't stretched out on the HD feed, and that the graphics that appear on the bottom of the screen appear to be fit for widescreen? Maybe they're starting to get their act together!

So will they still show all the braves or has this taken over those broadcasts.

The local braves games are on WPCH now. They will show 45 games. Yes it use to be WTBS (the local Atlanta version NOT TBS) but those games are only on WPCH locally. I think in some of the neighboring states its on Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) but I think only one Braves game will be on TBS

The local braves games are on WPCH now. They will show 45 games. Yes it use to be WTBS (the local Atlanta version NOT TBS) but those games are only on WPCH locally. I think in some of the neighboring states its on Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) but I think only one Braves game will be on TBS

I guess I am a little confused by what you are saying. The only station I have ever recieved is TBS and that is where the braves games used to be on. I also remember as a kid actually seeing the advertisments being wtbs. Perhaps this changed awhile ago and I am just behind the times.

Anyways to keep it simple, I will only see one braves game because of the way the format is now. Thanks Iceberg.

I am a die hard Brewers fan anyways, but I was hoping to see some HD when they played the braves.

The following was excerpted from David Knox's column published in the Birmingham News or March 30, 2008. It's a good explanation of the Braves broadcast situation

"But the Braves without TBS? Unthinkable, but beginning this season, it's true.
TBS has gone big-time, landing a Sunday afternoon major league baseball game of the week, but it won't be the home of the Braves for those 26 Sundays. If the Braves do show up on TBS, they'll be just one of the two teams, not "the good guys," as Skip Caray would call them.
The Braves had been a staple of the superstation since the early days of cable TV, all the way back to 1976, and made the Braves "America's Team."
That's 32 seasons. That's longer than a Barry Bonds home run.
But have no fear, Braves fans. You'll still get a heavy dose of Braves baseball on television.
151 games to be aired:
SportSouth (once known as Turner South), which carried 55 games last season, will jump to 81 games this season.

Fox Sports Net South will continue its Wednesday night package of 25 games. And the former WTBS, the over-the-air local station in Atlanta, which has been rebranded WPCH (or Peachtree TV), is offering a 45-game package to distributors throughout the Southeast.
It was confirmed Friday that CSS (Charter/Comcast cable), Bright House cable and DirecTV will all carry the Peachtree TV games, and Turner Broadcasting is still trying to finalize deals with other providers. That's a total of 151 games.
Of course, ESPN and Fox also carry major league baseball, and the Braves may turn up there when they're not on a Braves network. When a TBS game includes the Braves and it also is slated for one of the Braves regional carriers, the TBS game will be blacked out to protect the local rights holders.

Jeff Genthner, senior vice president and general manager of FSN South and SportSouth, is excited to have his networks become the No.1 spot for Braves baseball. "The role we find ourselves in as the largest rights holder and primary television partner for the Braves is a tremendous social responsibility to the team and the fans," Genthner said, "and we are committed to not just simply televising the games. We are committed to presenting the Braves every single night - with a half-hour pregame show, a half-hour postgame show, having the most games in high definition and doing original programming outside of game telecasts," such as one-on-ones with Tom Glavine, Bobby Cox and John Schuerholz.
"As the flagship station, we have an inherent obligation to do so much more than just televising the games."
Broadcast team back:
The broadcast team of play-by-play announcer Jon "Boog" Sciambi and analyst Joe Simpson returns for its second season. "Jon premiered with us last year," Genthner said. "He's also one of the ESPN national broadcasters. Joe Simpson is our color analyst, who has been on TBS for something like 14 years. They'll do both the FSN and SportSouth games."
Each of the games on FSN South and SportSouth will feature half-hour pregame and postgame shows, "Braves Live." Jerome Jurenovich returns as host and will be joined either in studio or at the stadium by former Braves Brian Jordan or Ron Gant, and Katy Temple is the in-clubhouse and around-the-stadium reporter.
Simpson, longtime Braves announcer Skip Caray and Chip Caray, who will also do TBS national games, will broadcast the Peachtree games."

I guess I am a little confused by what you are saying. The only station I have ever recieved is TBS and that is where the braves games used to be on. I also remember as a kid actually seeing the advertisments being wtbs. Perhaps this changed awhile ago and I am just behind the times.

Anyways to keep it simple, I will only see one braves game because of the way the format is now. Thanks Iceberg.

I am a die hard Brewers fan anyways, but I was hoping to see some HD when they played the braves.

WTBS-TV 17 and TBS Superstation were the same, but different until Oct. 1 last year. The superstation broadcast basically the same schedule WTBS aired. The main exceptions were the required E/I and such for OTA stations. Without getting into books worth of FCC rulings and decisions, the superstations, such as WGN, WWOR (Until 1997), etc. established 2 feeds, a national feed and a local feed. As long as you were in the US, outside the Atlanta market, you received TBS Superstation. (Canada is a different story I'm not getting into) For a long time the superstation still billed itself as WTBS, before the national signal began to split from the local signal.

WTBS-TV 17 and TBS Superstation were the same, but different until Oct. 1 last year. The superstation broadcast basically the same schedule WTBS aired. The main exceptions were the required E/I and such for OTA stations. Without getting into books worth of FCC rulings and decisions, the superstations, such as WGN, WWOR (Until 1997), etc. established 2 feeds, a national feed and a local feed. As long as you were in the US, outside the Atlanta market, you received TBS Superstation. (Canada is a different story I'm not getting into) For a long time the superstation still billed itself as WTBS, before the national signal began to split from the local signal.

Thanks

(Canada is a different story I'm not getting into)

they get the local version WPCH and also WGN9 from Chicago (and not the Superstation)

rule for that is simple...those 2 stations (WPCH & WGN) are authorized to be carried in Canada. The Superstation versions are not :)

rpd explained it well but for baseball fans of the Braves outside the local market, they get shafted.

Until this year, the games on WTBS (local Atlanta channel 17) were also on TBS Superstation...that was changed this year now.

Now those games are on WPCH

MLB on TBS schedule

Sunday, April 6
1/12c - Boston at Toronto
Announcers: Chip Caray, Buck Martinez and Craig Sager

Sunday, April 13
1:30/12:30c - Chicago Cubs at Philadelphia
Announcers: Chip Caray and Buck Martinez

Sunday, April 20
1/12c - LA Dodgers at Atlanta
Announcers: Chip Caray and Ron Darling

Sunday, April 27
1/12c - NY Yankees at Cleveland
Announcers: Chip Caray and Buck Martinez

Sunday, May 4
4/3c - NY Mets at Arizona

Sunday, May 11
1/12c - NY Yankees at Detroit

Sunday, May 18
1:30/12:30c - Milwaukee at Boston

Sunday, May 25
1/12c - Seattle at NY Yankees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)