OTHER TBS6922SE & updatelee utilities

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I'm working on installing the custom kernel & utilities that updatelee has been developing. It took about 90 minutes to build the custom kernel. Since the new kernel killed my TBS driver I tried to rebuild the TBS driver with the new headers/source but make kept using the previous Ubuntu 4.2.0-41-generic kernel which, of course, won't work. The TBS driver has to be rebuilt for each kernel. I decided to move forward and deal with this issue later only to find that I had to re-partition my hard drive because / did not have enough disk space to build the updatedvb utility. Since I had to re-partition the drive to give / more disk space I had to re-install the OS along with all the updates and now I have to rebuild the 4.6 custom kernel. I hope all this effort will pay off and give me an easier to operate DVB PCIe card. Stay tuned.

Reactions: fred555
I'm wondering why linux-headers-3.13.0-91-generic is getting installed when executing sudo apt-get install git build-essential linux-headers-generic ncurses-dev libproc-processtable-perl fakeroot? Why is it necessary to install those headers?

About a year ago a group of us worked running some of updatelee's utilities on the Pi.
I don't know if you have his instructions, but here is a post of his from last year:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...ellite-receiver-raspberry-pi-2.346824/page-35

Our clarified instructions: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3681934/
I'm sure they have changed a lot in a year and geared towards the PI, but maybe they may be helpful.
Read on for a few more pages and check it out.

We did get some pretty spectrum scans going on the PI with UpdateDVB!!

spectrum-jpg.107271

The problem we had is the versions of everything changed so fast, we got to a point
everything just stopped working on the PI anymore for us.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3686397/

More attempts (note the word frustration in the title):

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/con...eceiver-collaboration-and-frustration.175396/

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST and N6BY
I'm not able to build the drivers for my TBS6922SE with this kernel (4.6.0-rc2+). I'm able to build the drivers with kernels 4.4.0 and 4.2.0. There's a 4.6.0-rc2 kernel on my system and couldn't build the TBS6922SE modules. Here's a warning message but it looks like I have all the kernel headers:

user@server2: ~/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers $ sudo -i
root@server2:/home/user/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers# ./v4l/tbs-x86_64.sh
root@server2:/home/user/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers# make -j4
***WARNING:*** You do not have the full kernel sources installed.
This does not prevent you from building the v4l-dvb tree if you have the
kernel headers, but the full kernel source may be required in order to use
make menuconfig / xconfig / qconfig.

If you are experiencing problems building the v4l-dvb tree, please try
building against a vanilla kernel before reporting a bug.

Then make bombs with this:

/home/user/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/videobuf-dma-sg.c: In function 'videobuf_dma_free':
/home/user/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/videobuf-dma-sg.c:320:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'page_cache_release' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
page_cache_release(dma->pages);
^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [/home/user/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/videobuf-dma-sg.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/user/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-4.6.0-rc2'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/user/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2

user@server2:~/Downloads/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers$ sudo aptitude search 4.6.0-rc2
v linux-debug-4.6.0-rc2 -
v linux-debug-4.6.0-rc2+ -
i linux-firmware-image-4.6.0-rc2 - Linux kernel firmware, version 4.6.0-rc2
i linux-firmware-image-4.6.0-rc2+ - Linux kernel firmware, version 4.6.0-rc2+
i linux-headers-4.6.0-rc2 - Linux kernel headers for 4.6.0-rc2 on amd6
i linux-headers-4.6.0-rc2+ - Linux kernel headers for 4.6.0-rc2+ on amd
i linux-image-4.6.0-rc2 - Linux kernel, version 4.6.0-rc2
i linux-image-4.6.0-rc2+ - Linux kernel, version 4.6.0-rc2+
i linux-image-4.6.0-rc2+-dbg - Linux kernel debugging symbols for 4.6.0-r
i linux-image-4.6.0-rc2-dbg - Linux kernel debugging symbols for 4.6.0-r
v linux-modules-4.6.0-rc2 -
v linux-modules-4.6.0-rc2+ -

Last edited:
Part of the problem with updatelee's kernel is that it doesn't boot properly. uname -a shows the rc2+ kernel but vmlinuz and initrd.img points to the wrong kernel. Yes, I ran update-grub after installing the new kernel. So, apps don't work properly and I can't build the TBS modules or the updatedvb app. I haven't figured out how to fix this issue yet.

I decided not to install updatelee's modified kernel. Anyway, I'm still working on trying to install updatelee's updatedvb app. I'm still having build issues but I been able to resolve some of them. My latest error seems strange since I'm getting this even though the error is complaining about an invalid member even though it is a member. Any ideas on how to fix this?

/updatedvb/scan.cpp:85: error: 'class QVector<double>' has no member named 'removeAll'
ys.removeAll(0);

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)