TCM in HD?

TCM has always touted that they show their movies in their original aspect ratio (OAR). I don't see why the HD version of the channel would be different.

As to old movies in HD... remember that film has much higher resolution than HD TV. TNT and TBS have both shown "The Wizard of Oz" in HD and the picture is stunning... even the sepia-tone sections---ESPECIALLY the sepia-tone sections...

I have seen many older B&W movies that have been transcribed to HD from original prints and restored including Dr. Strangelove, Judgment at Nirenberg, Seven Samurai and the picture quality difference is remarkable! HD doesn't mean 16x9 or color. HD means high definition. The shading and depth of the B&W movies transferred to HD format is awesome when done from original prints or negatives (if they still exists) and restored to pristine condition!

I say Bring it on! It would be much more welcome than AMC HD for me since I at least watch TCM!

I don't think that that much material has been restored to HD quality. The bulk of what they show, I believe would look crappier.

I have seen many older B&W movies that have been transcribed to HD .... The shading and depth of the B&W movies transferred to HD format is awesome when done from original prints or negatives (if they still exists) and restored to pristine condition!

I hear you. Love B&W in HD. It is more impressive than most full color HD. Would love to see "Night of the Living Dead" and the original "Godzilla" in HD. Or "Eraserhead."

TCM has always touted that they show their movies in their original aspect ratio (OAR). I don't see why the HD version of the channel would be different.

As to old movies in HD... remember that film has much higher resolution than HD TV. TNT and TBS have both shown "The Wizard of Oz" in HD and the picture is stunning... even the sepia-tone sections---ESPECIALLY the sepia-tone sections...

I have seen many older B&W movies that have been transcribed to HD from original prints and restored including Dr. Strangelove, Judgment at Nirenberg, Seven Samurai and the picture quality difference is remarkable! HD doesn't mean 16x9 or color. HD means high definition. The shading and depth of the B&W movies transferred to HD format is awesome when done from original prints or negatives (if they still exists) and restored to pristine condition!

I say Bring it on! It would be much more welcome than AMC HD for me since I at least watch TCM!
What he said.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)