TCM on Demand -- Dish is asleep again

I don't want to sound mean here but I think of mitchflorida as the customer who wants Dish to carry everything but always complains about prices being too high. I'm fine with Dish adding more features and channels but I don't expect them to do it without some cost being passed on to us. Lets not be too unreasonable here and just say that Dish is dropping the ball because they don't have a network's VOD.

DirecTV has had TCM VOD for several years now. Why shouldn't Dish also have it? My best guess is that it is an oversight from someone at Dish HQ.

DirecTV has had TCM VOD for several years now. Why shouldn't Dish also have it? My guess is that it is just an oversight from someone in Corporate HQ.

That may be but there are things that Dish has that DirecTV doesn't have as well. With your philosophy you think Dish should carry everything that every other provider offers. That, and it shouldn't cost anything more because Dish charges too much already.

I just don't see it being that much of an attention grabber to warrant a higher bill. I feel like dish knows what they are doing. I'm not saying they won't ever have it. But there is no reason to go out of the way right now.

Did you read my first post? TCM is giving it away for FREE right now, today, on the Internet to Dish Customers.

I get that but I thought you wanted Dish to carry the VOD. Dish may have the rights for their customers to view content online but we have no idea what it costs Dish to add the VOD content. That's the point I'm making. If all you care about is the free access to the content online then you should be happy.

The fact that they give access to Dish customers via other methods does make me wonder why the content isn't available through the "on demand" section of Dish's offerings. This content is streamed, via broadband, so satellite bandwidth is not the issue. I can't believe for a second that there's any extensive set-up to do this - it's just a matter of copying the content to Dish's servers and enabling a "TCM" section.

I can't see too much of a price adder being part of it either, in fact, it would save TCM money by letting Dish offer it vs TCM doing all of the "work".

Reactions: mitchflorida
The fact that they give access to Dish customers via other methods does make me wonder why the content isn't available through the "on demand" section of Dish's offerings. This content is streamed, via broadband, so satellite bandwidth is not the issue. I can't believe for a second that there's any extensive set-up to do this - it's just a matter of copying the content to Dish's servers and enabling a "TCM" section.

I can't see too much of a price adder being part of it either, in fact, it would save TCM money by letting Dish offer it vs TCM doing all of the "work".

You would think that if they had an agreement to have access to the online content that they would also have an agreement to carry them on demand. I have know idea how these deals work though so I can't say that its a simply process. It seems that many of us here think that things like this are just a simple process but we have no clue. Maybe they are but I'm not going to call out Dish unless I know for sure.

Reactions: ChadT41
Mitch, if you have a Kindle Fire, you can easily wire that to your HT or directly to your television. So no new computer, just a $15 cable from Amazon.

The idea that most of what is shown on TCM is available on demand elsewhere is a joke. Sure, you might get The Apartment, Irma la Douce, The Matchmaker, and several other classics via the Platinum/BB@home channels, TCM puts on demand what they have shown for the last 7 days, and this includes much more hard to find films. Having it on demand would be adding mostly unavailable content.

But the fact that it is available to Dish via an app (probably be nice if it could be done via The Hopper) for tablets is a good thing too.
Anyone actually remember when TCM used to show Classic Movies?
Umm... they still do. Almost exclusively. In fact, it is one of the few niche channels that has kept the to original mission.

I might get the micro-HDMI cable to connect the Kindle Fire HD, not just for the one channel, but also to connect my bedroom TV to Dish Anywhere. I used to have a Joey connected to it, I could use the Kindle Fire instead. The cables are $10 for 15 feet or $15 for 25 feet.

Will that work? I read on another forum that dish anywhere did not work for the microhdmi on TVs. Might get audio and no picture or vice versa.

As pointed out, most the stuff you can find on TCM are on demand with other channels like encore.
You are entirely wrong! Have you ever even watched TCM? Its old classic movies. They even run the silent classics. If you are looking for duplicate programming, then look to the 300 channel range. Its one of the reasons I dropped from AEP to Top 250.

"Maureen O'Hara - Tuesdays in July 26 Movies", that is this months movie focus. You get a whole month of Oscar award winners during Oscar month. Universal horror movies(without the commercials every 11 min like AMC). 50's and 60's scifi movies. The Toho monster movies in the Japanese versions. Marx Bros. Serials. Musicals. None of Dish's 300 plus channels runs this type of programming at this content amount.

Now I understand TCM does not appeal to you, but there are subscribers who do enjoy it. Personally I could care less if the yanked every sports channel. But I won't go out there and demand they be taken away because they are adding to a big chunk of my Dish bill. It is the current way the entertainment providers work, everything bundled. If I could get what we watch here it would be locals,BB@H and my own personal Top 10. But I currently have little say in getting to that point.

My point isn't that there aren't people that won't enjoy it. It is that there is not going to be a large enough audience to go and increase a bill potentially and take more of the dvrs space. Typically speaking, those who watch those movies, how many will have their DVr connected to internet and download the movies? I know there are some. Hell, my grand mother would be on top of that. But in reality, what is the percentage that would actually use it, or have the resource to use it.

That's the point. I'm sure the majority would not want to see the potential increase, for the extreme minority to enjoy. If it was permanently free, and did not require any or little work on dishes part, cool. Otherwise, not worth it.

My point isn't that there aren't people that won't enjoy it. It is that there is not going to be a large enough audience to go and increase a bill potentially and take more of the dvrs space. Typically speaking, those who watch those movies, how many will have their DVr connected to internet and download the movies? I know there are some. Hell, my grand mother would be on top of that. But in reality, what is the percentage that would actually use it, or have the resource to use it.

That's the point. I'm sure the majority would not want to see the potential increase, for the extreme minority to enjoy. If it was permanently free, and did not require any or little work on dishes part, cool. Otherwise, not worth it.
Ok. You content a small segment of subscribers,you may be correct. But shouldn't you be just as concerned for the addition of a RSN that is looking for a very high retransmission fee and has to be absorbed by all Dish subscribers. Remember the AMC meltdown. There are subscribers who could care less about The Walking Dead and the couple other original shows on AMC. That added to subscription costs. The ABC/Disney/ESPN fight added also and I don't watch ESPN,Disney and the ABC local I can get OTA free.

What I am trying to point out is everyone has likes and dislikes in entertainment. Because even if I have no use for ESPN I feel I should support those who do, not try to oppose their choices. The only way this would not be an issue is if there was an a la carte choice for all Dish programming and we all know that's not happening anytime soon if ever.

So with my current $138/month bill I can account for about $50 worth of programming and fees. That means I spend $88 per month for other peoples preferences. Does that make my point understandable now.

My point isn't that there aren't people that won't enjoy it. It is that there is not going to be a large enough audience to go and increase a bill potentially and take more of the dvrs space.

How does using my DVR space, which I pay for, raise the cost to Dish? Confused .

It uses the hard drive. If they need more space for their allotted space, they will allocate away from the DVr capable space. ie it was brought up that the hopper has a 2tb hard drive but you can only access 1231 gb of it. If they were to add more vod, it's possible that number could go down to say just 1tb even.

Dish's version of "VOD" is not the same as the On Demand arrangement being discussed here. Look at "History On Demand", pick a program to watch but disconnect the broadband source to the receiver. It won't play....