Team Summit Discussion Thread

David_Levin said:
I'm not sure the mpeg4 is getting them much at all...

The were getting 3 channels of 1920x1080 mpeg2.

So with mpeg 4 they are getting 4 channels of 1440x1080. I'm not sure they've gained hardly anything.

From Dish's perspective, they are able to put 33% more per transponder up.

I'm not defending the downres by any stretch of the imagination - I'm just thinking about it from their perspective.

We also know that the encoders will get better over time.

Cheers,

According to everything I've read you will not be able to transfer recordings to any other boxes (even in the event of failure). Basically the hard drive will be married to the box.

Scott...have you read Sean's posts. There is no if and's or butts that DISH requested vOOM to send the channels down rezed. VOOM confimed that long ago to Sean. Now they are technically correct that they are sending it just as VOOM is sending it to them....but at their specific request.

Now if they are saying that they will send full rez if VOOM sends full rez... you know what your and our next course should be.

Sean can you check again with your buds at VOOM? Tell us what we can do.

Again Scott don 't get ga ga sitting in front of Charlie and think he is the Pope. Keep your perspective as you do with us.

lakebum431 said:
According to everything I've read you will not be able to transfer recordings to any other boxes (even in the event of failure). Basically the hard drive will be married to the box.

So you get a replacement for a failed 622, and you lose all your external content?

That seems terribly stupid.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
So you get a replacement for a failed 622, and you lose all your external content?

That seems terribly stupid.

Cheers,

Scott can probably verify this while he is out there, but I think the answer is yes.

waltinvt said:
Maybe we haven't but Dish sure has.

It amounts to what many of us have been saying for months. Dish can pick up one more channel each with MPEG4 but at the cost of some resolution which they believe we can't see and our monitors can't detect. Plus they get the added bonus of marketing all this new MPEG4 hardware.

Some of you folks need to get out of denial. Like any business, Dish will do what's best for Dish. The difference with Dish however is that what they may have said previously doesn't carry a lot of weight with their decisions.

With all of your disdain for DISH sounds like you need to switch providers.
What lucky providers forum will get your optimism next ? :)

dslate69 said:
With all of your disdain for DISH sounds like you need to switch providers.
What lucky providers forum will get your optimism next ? :)

No sonny, if you've been around here much you should know that I have said and continue to say Dish is still currently the better of the two DBS choices and therefore my only choice.

You'd also know I've never lied or knowingly misstated anything. If you'd like to point out any of my errors, please feel free.

You'd also know I have praised Dish and will continue to do so when they deserve it.

And finially you should be intelligent enough to realize that it is possible to feel (and voice) disappointment, even "distain" about many aspects of a company but because they do have potential, want to see them get better.

John Kotches said:
There's certainly sufficient bandwidth with USB2, and all you're doing then is feeding the captured datastream to the internal decoder.

John, the "sufficient bandwidth with USB2" that you speak of: Does that include HD streams? From the screenshot, it appears as though most of the programming recorded there is SD.

Scott, from the demo that you saw, was it playing HD directly from the external hard drive or just SD?

Thanks! Here's hoping the Alpha and Beta testing achieve bueno results and doesn't require mucho, if any, tweaking.

Scott, so far, you've been pretty quiet concerning any 622 software updates. Any news on that? Any chance we can get a fix for missed timers and video stuttering?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts