Team Summit General Assembly Notes

Here some info.

http://spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

Dec. Proton • AMC 14
Launch time: TBD
Launch site: Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan

An International Launch Services Proton rocket with a Breeze M upper stage will launch the AMERICOM 14 communications spacecraft. The Lockheed Martin-built satellite will be used for EchoStar's DISH Network service. [May 3]

Here some info.

http://spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

Dec. Proton • AMC 14
Launch time: TBD
Launch site: Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan

An International Launch Services Proton rocket with a Breeze M upper stage will launch the AMERICOM 14 communications spacecraft. The Lockheed Martin-built satellite will be used for EchoStar's DISH Network service. [May 3]

Yeah, just found some more

space.skyrocket.de/index_frame.htm?http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/amc-14.htm

AMC-14 is a BSS satellite also built by Lockheed Martin with 32 (24 MHz) Ku-band transponders each supported by a 150 watt TWTA; the spacecraft features the highest levels of redundancy on core components such as amplifiers, receivers, commanding beam and computer control systems. The satellite will provide Direct to Home services in the United States from a slot to be determined. AMC-14 will be the first BSS satellite operated in SES AMERICOM’s domestic fleet.

EchoStar, which has a contract to lease the whole capacity of AMC 14, recently asked that the satellite’s payload be modified to make it more flexible, and notably that it be capable of operating at least temporarily from Mexico’s 77 degrees west longitude orbital slot. Due to the modifications, the satellite will not be launched before late 2007

I guess this one and E11 set for sea launch SOMETIME could be the two.

I dont know who will be useing the AMC-21 or AMC 18 that SES is makeing. Looks like the AMC 21 will be at 125o W.L.

http://www.ses-americom.com/americo...ndTeleports/plannedsatellites/amc21/index.php

AMERICOM-21 (AMC-21) is planned as an all Ku-band satellite to operate from the 125o W.L. orbital position. The spacecraft is being built by Alcatel Alenia Space, incorporating the Orbital Sciences STAR-2 satellite bus. In addition to providing comprehensive 50-state coverage, AMC-21 will also feature high-power coverage of the Gulf of Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

Satellite information
Spacecraft design Alcatel/Orbital STAR-2
Orbital location 125o W.L.
Launch Date Q3 2008
Design Life 15 years

Ku-band payload 24 x 36 MHz
Amp type TWTA, 110 watts
Amp Redundancy 32 for 24
Receiver redundancy 6 for 4
Coverage 50-State, Caribbean, Southern Canada, Mexico

Thanks for that help . But now my questions will be :

1)Will all hd national channels that are still on 129 and 61.5 be duplicated on the new sats at these two new slots?

2) Also will the existing dishes we have now be able to be swung around to receive them or will they need new satellite dishes again?

Might be to early to answer #2.

From what I read into it, ALL mpeg4 will be moved to the new sats and they will send out all sd and hd in mpeg4.

Cant really find anything on E11. Just that it was supposed to go on sea launch but thats an issue right now. And a quote from a E* spokesperson saying that E* was exploring other options for getting E11 up.

2) Also will the existing dishes we have now be able to be swung around to receive them or will they need new satellite dishes again?
I can't imagine the task of re-aligning millions (??) of dishes....

I know satellites can be in the same "spot", but what does that really mean ?? D* and E* both have satellites in the 110' location, for example. Same with the 119' location. Are they side-by-side, one above the other ??

Yeah saw that too. Not due to go up until end of the year.

Yeah, pushing that December deadline. Its good that its up now, I was looking a few days ago for E* launches and found nothing. Now a status on E11 would be nice. I emailed someone with a question about E11, maybe theyll throw me a bone.

Wow all this is some great news.

Thanks for all the hard work Scott!!!

I am looking forward to some of these changes.

Thanks for the full rundown, Scott!

I'm surprised no one has asked after the DishComm. By your notes, it sounds like its been activated in the 622s, I'm assuming in the last software update (L4.03)?

QUOTE: "Leslie comes out and shows us how to use the new features on the 622. She also tells us that DishCOMM has been turned on in the 622's and will soon be turned on in the 211, this will allow all the boxes to talk to each other."

So, if that's true, can we, say, now hook into our networks via ethernet and share recordings, etc. between 622s? Anyone try to get these boxes to "talk" yet?

Ah, hell...I just answered my question by doing a little looking around. I was confusing DishComm (which seems at present to only entail sharing of a phone-line connection for account purposes) w/ all the fancy media sharing/remote viewing capabilities Dish was showing off at the conventions last year. It was all running on the new boxes (part of the ViP of the ViP 622/211s), so I dared to hope...

Last edited:
IT doesn't work on my two 622s. I get both receivers recognizing themselves but not each other. No matter if I plug them into a outlet or through a power strip. Maybe the new sling box they showed in the team summit pictures will provide a way to do the networking properly.

OKay what two new satellites are they talking about? I mean do we need to reaim our dishes to something else? OR do we need a new sat dish? I am confused a bit here. I like the idea of all programming being done in mpeg4 but what about hd channels? Are they staying on 129 and 61.5 or what? I need some more info here.

Those are great questions, and I bet sometime in the next 5-10 years Dish will figure out the answers.

Yea for Birmingham HD locals this summer!

Very interesting about the two new sats. Based on their track record of announcements and implementation, I'm sure Dish will have the MPEG4 service running by 2011. ;)

I think the idea is to mirror everything on the new birds at a new location. Then over the course of time (years) get everyone switched over.

Then, the current slots open up for more programming.

Ambitious. Remember the Superdish and it's 50 hi-def channels?

So, does this TR40 receiver only receive OTA HDTV (8VSB)? Or does it also receive QAM? And can it receive / subscribe to any Dish Network services?

Also, where does this MPEG 2 > MPEG 4 transition leave Sky Angel?

Nothing is moving. All will stay where it is. Dish is launching its MPEG4 service on its two new satellites. So folks with old receivers will see everything they have now for quite awhile...

Then they hope to move everyone to MPEG4 boxes and sloly phase out the MPEG2 stuff.

Now I should note I just spoke with Mark Jackson a few moments ago and he told me that Charlie was not supposed to announce the MPEG4 stuff yet. And he told me he really could not talk about it yet as up until today it was supposed to be "Top Secret"

This just cracks me up, Charlie gets up there and blurts out stuff that is not supposed to be announced yet. LOL I'll bet those guys just about crap every time he gets up to speak. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)