Team Summit - General Assembly

Looks like the ad skipper is a big deal and may be a "hit" with a double meaning. The google news home page has it on page 1 of technology with a pile of links about stations vs viewers and billions of dollars in ad revenue possibly going up in smoke.

"He explained that with Auto Hop, viewers can use the fast-forward or rewind button to play back commercials if they want to because the recorded signal is not altered in any way.

Clayton said the technology would allow Dish to expand the capability to other programming, "if we so chose.".

more Clayton analysis: Similarly, he said he doesn't know if broadcasters would start rewording their retransmission agreements with Dish to prevent the commercial skipping mechanism, adding that initial concern over the implementation Prime Time Anytime was assuaged once broadcasters realized that their programs "got more visibility."

Asked if Dish would continue to find network TV advertising a valuable proposition if the commercial skipping feature became more pervasive, Clayton said: "There are lots of ways to advertise."

Looks like the ad skipper is a big deal and may be a "hit" with a double meaning. The google news home page has it on page 1 of technology with a pile of links about stations vs viewers and billions of dollars in ad revenue possibly going up in smoke.

Then it's already made up it's development cost in free press.

I haven't seen anyone comment on the "dark side" potential of this. If they can recognize and skip commercials, they could pretty easily insert their own. That could ultimately be the end game. When retrans comes up, offer the ability to put in a "mandatory" highly targeted to the specific viewer commercial every 15 minutes or so similar to hulu.

I talked to my wife back home a bit ago and she all of a sudden noticed the new auto hop feature. I didn't even tell her about it. She was pretty excited as she was about to watch American idol.

I talked to my wife back home a bit ago and she all of a sudden noticed the new auto hop feature. I didn't even tell her about it. She was pretty excited as she was about to watch American idol.

I tried it out when I got home, very nice feature!

Honestly, I don't think this would ever be implemented. New shows have a flag in the guide information that drives recording new or repeat airings. As far as I know there is nothing like this for commercials. It would be a nightmare to implement if it were even possible.

Such auto commercial skipping features had been achieved and available long long time ago back in the 1990's and they worked very well from RePlay TV (digital tech) to the patented "Move Advance" and "Commercial Advance" for VCR's. I can tell you that as a regular user of the Commercial Advance on my old VCR's they rarely missed a bit, just about always PERFECT blissful commercial free watching without having to do a thing.

He just replied.....

You are conflating "free" for you as a private citizen and "free" for other folks to make money from. Dish's most popular programming by a HUGE margin is network stuff. If they didn't have the locals, their subs would go way, way down (people just want the convenience of using the same input/gear for all of their programming). Our product adds the bulk of the value they offer to their customers. Is it fair they get to double dip (sub revenue and spot revenue) while we do not?
We local broadcasters are in a squeeze. We started getting retransmission revenue in meaningful amounts in the past 6 years or so, and now that it's an expected thing, our parent networks are expecting us to kick more and more of it back to them so they can continue to invest in more programming. None of us local TV guys are getting rich from retrans, I can guarantee you that. We are stuck because without our networks, we don't have the audience we need either, so we have to pay our share and shut up about it, and that new cost is what forces us to play hardball when it comes to retrans.
All we have is spot revenue these days, and if that deteriorates any further, we will go out of business. Simple as that.

B.S. This guy is NO exec. More B.S because big networks often PAY stations to be an affiliate and air their network shows, and they do get RICH from every crumb of revenue produce. Finally, those broadcast licenses belong to EVERY American as WE OWN those frequencies and the nets pay NOTHING for the privilege. So, some "TV Exec" whines because he gets a FREE LUNCH paid for by the taxpayers and makes mountains of $$$$ and NEVER pays any "royalties" or shares to each and every one of use who ALLOW him to use our frequencies. His arrogance affirms that broadcasters forget they are "GUESTS" and who no longer practice equal time and don't want who pays for all the political ads they run to be listed on a website. He and his ilk ought to start a channel for MVPD only like USA, Liftetime, etc, then he will really own every link in the chain and do what he wants, but for now, it is hubris for them to charge retrans when WE already own AND SUBSIDIZE (US Government GRANTS and LOW-NO INTEREST LOANS PAID FOR JUST ABOUT EVERY NEW DIGITAL TRANSMITTER THE BROADCASTERS NOW HAVE) to untold amounts of money. Let's not forget that most of the local stations in this country are not "mom & pop" operations, but owned by very large corporations and companies themselves who often own whole groups of stations.

Last edited:
Such auto commercial skipping features had been achieved and available long long time ago back in the 1990's and they worked very well from RePlay TV (digital tech) to the patented "Move Advance" and "Commercial Advance" for VCR's. I can tell you that as a regular user of the Commercial Advance on my old VCR's they rarely missed a bit, just about always PERFECT blissful commercial free watching without having to do a thing.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was commenting about. Certainly the commercial skipping features will work. I was commenting about a user who wanted to show the commercial the first time it was aired and skip it every other time. This was what I said would be a nightmare to implement. I agree completely with you on your point.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was commenting about. Certainly the commercial skipping features will work. I was commenting about a user who wanted to show the commercial the first time it was aired and skip it every other time. This was what I said would be a nightmare to implement. I agree completely with you on your point.

I thought I was responding to the concern that "it" would not work, it being auto skipping. But if I've misunderstood, I apologize.

I'm surprised something about this had not been worked into the retrans agreements already. Seems shortsighted on the provider's side. Dish is not the first one to try this. They may just have to live with it until the current contract is up.

Even though ReplayTV died before the court case played out, I'm sure it gave Dish an insight into arguments the networks may have. Replay didn't have retrans agreements to contend with though.

And Reply couldn't just drop the LIL's only to have them come crawling back. This is Dish, the KING of drop channels. Plus Dish now has more flexibility regarding LiL's and replacements for them. However, it will be interesting to see if Dish will have to pay through the nose for top markets like LA-Chi-NY. They have the real leverage against Dish. Of course they are all O&O network stations.

JM42 said:
Then it's already made up it's development cost in free press.

I haven't seen anyone comment on the "dark side" potential of this. If they can recognize and skip commercials, they could pretty easily insert their own. That could ultimately be the end game. When retrans comes up, offer the ability to put in a "mandatory" highly targeted to the specific viewer commercial every 15 minutes or so similar to hulu.

If the insert their own commercials then they would be breaking copyright by altering the networks shows with their own programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)