Teaser for next Call of Duty game released, reveal slated for Sunday

I think we know what to expect from Call of Duty at this point. There is very little chance that it will be a bad game and there is very little chance that there will be much innovation. They have the formula down at this point. Just put out a military shooter that runs at a solid 60 frames per second with tight shooting mechanics. The gameplay is solid in all of them and I always end up buying them to play with my old college buddies but it's not a franchise I get excited for. We all live in different parts of the country and don't see each other anymore. Playing Call of Duty is just something fun to do while we catch up for an hour or two instead of doing a conference call on our phones.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like if Hideo Kojima was making a Call of Duty game. I have to say it's a little late for CoD to jump on the PMC bandwagon. If this is where the story line is going, they are really creatively bankrupt. I mean Christ, just play a Tom Clancy of Metal Gear Game in the past 5 years and you'll probably see a mirrored plot.

I find it interesting that they still put this much money into making the single player campaign cinematic and hiring actors like Kevin Spacey when so many people play the multiplayer mode exclusively. I don't think I've played a single campaign mission since Modern Warfare.

Edit: Here is the Kevin Spacey trailer.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/05/02/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-reveal-trailer
Probably because people have gotten tired of the complete lack of focus on single player. I didn't get into CoD multiplayer until Black Ops, (IMO the best CoD ever made) and always used to play for the campaign. However, eventually they got so monotonous and eventually so far fetched that I just lost interest. I sold BO2 back early into the campaign and I still haven't played Ghosts. I welcome a return to the single player focus. However, I'm not sure if this is the best attempt of it. For one, I'm not familiar with Sledgehammer's work. I know they worked on MW3, but that's not a selling point for me. Why isn't Treyarch working on this game? Isn't it their "turn?" I've enjoyed their work more than Infinity Ward.

Unless they finally do something to really deviate from the past games similar to what Modern Warfare did (which I think is what they're aiming for by calling it "Advanced Warfare") I don't see myself picking this up. Wonder if this will just be on modern consoles.

Probably because people have gotten tired of the complete lack of focus on single player. I didn't get into CoD multiplayer until Black Ops, (IMO the best CoD ever made) and always used to play for the campaign. However, eventually they got so monotonous and eventually so far fetched that I just lost interest. I sold BO2 back early into the campaign and I still haven't played Ghosts. I welcome a return to the single player focus. However, I'm not sure if this is the best attempt of it. For one, I'm not familiar with Sledgehammer's work. I know they worked on MW3, but that's not a selling point for me. Why isn't Treyarch working on this game? Isn't it their "turn?" I've enjoyed their work more than Infinity Ward.

Unless they finally do something to really deviate from the past games similar to what Modern Warfare did (which I think is what they're aiming for by calling it "Advanced Warfare") I don't see myself picking this up. Wonder if this will just be on modern consoles.

I don't have a huge knowledge of COD even though I have bought them all since Call of Duty 2. That was my favorite launch game for the 360 and I don't think I ever even tried to play that one online. In the beginning COD was all about the single player for me. I didn't really get into the multiplayer until Modern Warfare.

From what I remember, Sledghammer is a studio they used for DLC on past games. I remember hearing an announcement a while back saying they were going to add them into the mix so they could get each studio on a 3 year development cycle. This is supposed to give them more time to innovate and polish the experience.

The thing is, I can't imagine Activision giving them a ton of room for innovations. During the last generation COD became the biggest thing in gaming. When people pick it up they want it to feel like COD. They are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they stray to far from the COD formula they risk alienating the fans who buy the game every year. If they keep putting out the same thing every year they will lose market share to innovators like Titanfall.

The place where they have some room to experiment is in the single player. They can't screw with the multiplayer too much.

I think the series has gotten to the point where they realize that they've squeezed the formula dry. Ghosts sold SIGNIFICANTLY less than what Black Ops 2 (14.5 vs 24.2 million) and that was released on 6 consoles. And the resentment towards the franchise has been increasing with each release. Also, the whole FPS market seems to be drying up quite a bit.

I think the series has gotten to the point where they realize that they've squeezed the formula dry. Ghosts sold SIGNIFICANTLY less than what Black Ops 2 (14.5 vs 24.2 million) and that was released on 6 consoles. And the resentment towards the franchise has been increasing with each release. Also, the whole FPS market seems to be drying up quite a bit.

I have no doubt that Ghosts sold significantly less than Black Ops 2. I just don't know how accurate that chart is because after a few Google searches I can't find anywhere where Activision actually released sales numbers for Ghosts. I can find the $1 billion in day one sales articles everywhere but that number is only for units sold into retailers, not to actual customers.

If they are using NPD or other comparable sales estimates services the chart can't really be taken at face value. NPD numbers are still relevant to get an idea of which games are selling best in any given month but they can't really be used to compare modern games with older ones anymore. The reason is that NPD only tracks retail copies. Digital sales aren't included in NPD numbers and while console games still sell better at retail the percentage of games being purchased digitally increases every year. With digital sales now becoming a bigger part of the picture, there is no way to see how many units a game actually sold unless the publisher chooses to release sales numbers.

NPD would be a good way to see that GTA V was outselling Ghosts in November 2013. It wouldn't be a good way to compare Ghost sales to BO2 sales because Ghosts launched in a year where digital sales make up a larger portion of total sales than when BO2 was. I'm sure there was a decline but unless Activision released that 14 million number(I can't find it on any other website) we aren't seeing the whole picture.

Even if the 14 million number is 100% accurate that's still bigger than just about everything besides GTA. That's still an audience that any other game would kill for and one that's too huge to walk away from. 14 million means the formula is still working.

Just for a comparison I looked up Assassin's Creed IV's sales numbers. It is the biggest franchise I could think of that's on basically every platform the way COD is. They had a press release to brag about hitting 10 million copies and that was just sold into retailers. They didn't actually say how many copies customers bought.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-sales-reach-10-million

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/02/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-platforms-revealed

According to the Amazon listing it's coming to everything except Wii U. It was nice that they made previous COD games available to Wii U gamers. More games being available is always a good thing and it's not like the people who only want Nintendo first party games are forced to buy it. Still, I can't imagine many huge COD fans having a Wii U as their only system. Nintendo consoles have never been known as the place to play your online multiplayer games.

I had a feeling Activision would be clinging to that 160 million combined install base that the 360/PS3 offers. I hope to see this cross-generation support die out soon but COD will likely be one of the last franchises trying to make it work. They can't hit those gigantic numbers with just the new consoles yet.

It's not that I don't want people still playing on their 360/PS3 to have games to play. It just feels like all these companies trying to hedge their bets by releasing on 8 year old hardware have to be holding back their Xbone/PS4/PC games. How can you hit the full potential of a game on a console with an 8 core processor and 8GB of RAM when it also needs to run on a an 8 year old architecture with 512MB of RAM?

Got an email from gamestop around 11pm central last night, they have preorders up. The trailer didn't get me to want to spend $400-$500 on X1 or PS4 so I was pleasantly surprised to see it for X360 and PS3. Bonus personalization pack from gamestop for preorders that you can use in Ghosts and BOII starting 5/13. Yup, got it on order. :)

I actually like Ghosts and don't seem to have all the problems with it that many others do. 2XP weekend now BTW. I'm sure I'll at least get my $60 out of AW and am curious to see what all Sledgehammer does with the franchise.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/call-of-duty-ghosts-is-ps4s-xbox-ones-best-selling-game

According to Activision COD Ghosts is the best selling game on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Yet neither platform has much of an active player base for Ghosts. I've heard less than 7000 online for Xbone before. I wouldn't want to see the matchmaking with numbers that small, including xbones out of USA. At least on PS3 and X360 you've got plenty of players anytime of the day or night.

Yet neither platform has much of an active player base for Ghosts. I've heard less than 7000 online for Xbone before. I wouldn't want to see the matchmaking with numbers that small, including xbones out of USA. At least on PS3 and X360 you've got plenty of players anytime of the day or night.
PC is AWFUL. I tried out the game for the free multiplayer weekend, and it said it couldn't find matches. That's insane, especially for a free weekend. I had to do all my playing with bots.

I haven't looked at the player count but I play about once a week with friends on the PS4. Sometimes we blow a team out and sometimes we get destroyed but I haven't noticed that happening any more often than it did on PS3/360. I think matchmaking is probably tough when you start throwing parties into the mix regardless of how large the player base is.

For example, 3 of us play together just about every week but 2 other guys will occasionally play too. One of the guys works night shift and plays alone during the day a lot. He has already prestiged 4 times and is way better than the rest of us. The other guy that plays with us every week has prestiged once and I am ranked somewhere in the 40s. Those other two guys that don't play as often might be in the teens or low 20s. When we are in a party together how is matchmaking supposed to work? Should it put us with really good players because one person has prestiged 4 times or really bad players because one person is in the teens?

I don't know if the smaller player base is effecting how well we are matched against a team with similar skill. I do know that we never have trouble finding a game on the PS4 though. We are always able to get into a match and play together quickly. We typically play "hardcore kill confirmed" too which would likely have less people playing than something like "team deathmatch".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)