Tech Chat Recap 11/12

Thanks Vince, I did not know that - I assume it's done that way since 99% of consumers would be confused if it had to be done via port forwarding and such (but to have the option would be great!)

Anyone get it to work yet? When I checked a few hours ago, the only reference to it I could see at all was via the "coming soon" button, and with it only a static advertisement.

Click on the banner below "coming soon". There is instructions for signing up to test.

Click on the banner below "coming soon". There is instructions for signing up to test.

Thanks Duke. I tired again and did not see the banner. Turned out Fire Fox was blocking both the "Set your DVR timers Online!*" Banner and the Papa John's add. I think Ad Block Plus treats everything with common banner measurements as an ad.

Anyway, I tried the page again with IE, and got both the banner and Papa's Ad. I'm clicking it now, I'll post my results in the Sign Up NOW for remote programming! Thread, so not as to get this thread off topic.

I had to disable Ad Muncher to see the banner.

I just sent off an email to Echostar, offering to participate. It will be interesting to see how much capability Dish provides with this feature. I'm retired and don't travel that often, but it would be nice to be able to remotely plug in or cancel a timer while away from home, for later viewing.

Archos Gen 5

I checked both websites for Archos and Dishnetwork but could not find the firmware to download in order to work with ViP622. Can some one advise?

That VP from Sling was pushing the Sling Solo, but there are other cheaper models. Can the other models work with E*? Also, when they gave the two Solos away the VP said the persons got complete sets. What else do you have to buy besides the $175 Solo to work with E*?

I had to disable Ad Muncher to see the banner.

I just sent off an email to Echostar, offering to participate. It will be interesting to see how much capability Dish provides with this feature. I'm retired and don't travel that often, but it would be nice to be able to remotely plug in or cancel a timer while away from home, for later viewing.

I just got an email back with all the info. I have to reply to sign up by 15 Nov, 13:00 Mountain time.

That's what I meant! They apparently don't know the values of theeir new meter scale!:confused:

58 SS on the new meter for 129 is probably as good as it gets!

As a tech, this is one of my pet peeves. There was nothing at all wrong with the signal strength screen. Just because some receivers read a little higher was no reason to change.

And then when they did change it, they didn't bother to change from a scale of 125 to something more in line of a scale of 80, and that right there makes it appear the signal strength stinks. Brilliance, just flat-out brilliance, that they didn't change the scale.

A 58 from the 129 on the orginal SSS is lousy. On the modified SSS, it is very good.

I know that Dish harps on the CSRs and Tech Support not to create unneccesary Trouble Calls, yet this guy in our management structure just basically told this customer to call and get someone out there to fix something that may not be broken.

Last edited:
As a tech, this is one of my pet peeves. There was nothing at all wrong with the signal strength screen. Just because some receivers read a little higher was no reason to change.

And then when they did change it, they didn't bother to change from a scale of 125 to something more in line of a scale of 80, and that right there makes it appear the signal strength stinks. Brilliance, just flat-out brilliance, that they didn't change the scale.

A 58 from the 129 on the orginal SSS is lousy. On the modified SSS, it is very good.

I know that Dish harps on the CSRs and Tech Support not to create unneccesary Trouble Calls, yet this guy in our management structure just basically told this customer to call and get someout there to fix something that may not be broken.

You are 100% correct!:)

Yeah, that was an embarrassing response. The guy will call the local installer to reaim the dish or so, and the tech will tell the customer that the guy in management how told him to call is one of the top heads in engineering and don't know shi.. apparently. The customer will be highly amused about that amount of incompetence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)