technical abilities of the hardware/software.

bigrex12

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Plymouth, IN
Okay, I know one hopper can control 3 joey's, I've installed that config before. The software just reads MAC addresses, or so I've gathered, so Dish only allows a 1H/3J or 2H/4J setup. but if one hopper can control 3 joey's, there's just about no reason two hoppers cant control 6 joey's or is there a software/hardware restriction either by nature, or set by Dish to regulate that config of 1H/3+J?

2 Hoppers will support 6 Joey's. Each Hopper would each need to have 3 of the Joeys linked to it.

We only allow you to lease 2H/4J, anything after this would need to be purchased equipment (absolute max is 3H/6J)

Basically one hopper will ONLY ever support up to 3 joeys? i guess to better word my question, if I ordered a hopper and three joeys, got it installed, then bought my own fourth joey, and tapped it in like normal, would the hopper recognize it?

I have a 2H/4J system, my master bedroom hopper died and had to be replaced. It took a few days to get a new one. This was several months back

eddwall said:
I have a 2H/4J system, my master bedroom hopper died and had to be replaced. It took a few days to get a new one. This was several months back

Sorry... Hit send by mistake on IPhone... Anyway while waiting I put 4 Joeys on one Hopper and it worked. Full linked and everything !!!
Just an FYI !!!

I was just curious. I thought so because the only thing the hopper looks for a is a MAC address. if you had two hoppers, One of the hoppers would show the second hopper AND ALL connected joeys. so the connectivity pool isn't just limited to what they will allow you to lease.

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
It will work with 4 Joeys, but it's not something our system allows us to setup since that would be 5 TVs sharing 3 tuners.

Yes ... It was very challenging to say the lease... We definitely turned off PTAT ....and minimized recordings till the other Hopper came in.

2 Hoppers will support 6 Joey's. Each Hopper would each need to have 3 of the Joeys linked to it.

We only allow you to lease 2H/4J, anything after this would need to be purchased equipment (absolute max is 3H/6J)

I thought the max (when you purchase the extras) was 3H/9J?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

It will work with 4 Joeys, but it's not something our system allows us to setup since that would be 5 TVs sharing 3 tuners.

Makes sense. 3J on 1H is really pushing it too unless one or two of the TVs is rarely used.

I realize that Dish probably wouldn't allow it to happen, but I'm just wondering about the technical maximum number of clients to one host. pretty much answered my question. plus I saw a wiring diagram of a 3H/2J setup which leads me to believe that the possibilities are virtually limitless with a dpp44/dpp33 or more installed. the biggest hurdle is Dish allowing it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the more you add, the higher chance of encountering issues is.

bigrex12 said:
I realize that Dish probably wouldn't allow it to happen, but I'm just wondering about the technical maximum number of clients to one host. pretty much answered my question. plus I saw a wiring diagram of a 3H/2J setup which leads me to believe that the possibilities are virtually limitless with a dpp44/dpp33 or more installed. the biggest hurdle is Dish allowing it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the more you add, the higher chance of encountering issues is.

Here's the wiring diagram for the 3H/2J setup :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287591-installing-a-3rd-Hopper?p=2903300#post2903300

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts