Technical Installation Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

histry

Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
I work for a school and DirectTV has a promotion for schools where they will give free equipment and free programming. The only catch is you have get the install done yourself. I've done DISH installs (small) so I thought I might tackle the install myself. They have sent a triple LNB dish, and a four-eight port splitter(?). I have four receivers to install. My question is, how does the four-eight port splitter come into play? Is there any way I would only need to run 1 or 2 cables from the dish to the splitter and then run from the splitter to the receivers? I ask this as I would like to use as less of cable as I need to and four runs to the dish would eat up a lot of cable. Thanks for any help on this.

You have multi-switches, not splitters.

If you have the PhaseIII, 3 LNB dish with built-in multi-switch, and will only need four receivers hooked up with no expansion, you do not need that extra 4x8 multi-switch. If you might add the 5th or more later then put the switch in now.

For 4 receivers just run a RG6 cable from each of the dish's built-in multi-switch connection directly to each receiver.

For 5 or more, run RG6 from the dish's connectors to the IN ports on the external 4x8 multi-switch and then a RG6 run from the OUT ports of that switch to each receiver.

What receivers did they give you I suspect because of the switch that you have R15 DVR+ receivers? They need 2 lines to each receiver because they have dual tuners.

where are you located at If in south Florida I would like to offer your installation free of change I am a lead tech at the HSP here in south florida.

Second reason for switch is it saves on cable one instead of for to the dish. but I think boba got it right it because of the DVR type of receiver that is what some of the schools in this area receive.

Wow how would they know you really are a school?

I work for a school and DirectTV has a promotion for schools where they will give free equipment and free programming. The only catch is you have get the install done yourself. I've done DISH installs (small) so I thought I might tackle the install myself. They have sent a triple LNB dish, and a four-eight port splitter(?). I have four receivers to install. My question is, how does the four-eight port splitter come into play? Is there any way I would only need to run 1 or 2 cables from the dish to the splitter and then run from the splitter to the receivers? I ask this as I would like to use as less of cable as I need to and four runs to the dish would eat up a lot of cable. Thanks for any help on this.

I bet DirecTV is going to have many people getting free programming claiming to be a school. The principle will probably take a receiver home to his or her TV set.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts