Technical Nightmare

Andrew Sullivan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Arizona
Three different techs visited in a 5 week period for this problem. I am experiencing a 2 second freeze frame a dozen or more times a day. When I rewind 10 seconds the freeze frame does not repeat itself. HS17 and C61 connected directly to a 1 year old high end Samsung TV. After replacing every piece of equipment including cables and resetting the dish and running every test , and trying several HDMI cables and different input portals, the diagnosis is, we have no idea what the problem is. We can't fix it. These were all seasoned techs with plenty of experience. Anybody have a possible fix?

Software bug in HS17
Known issue
Will have to wait for an update to correct

Doctor j

Could be a bad fitting.

I had a Hampton inn that has the same issue. Traced it to a bad wall plate on the 3rd floor behind a Tv in the guest room.

How I figured that out I do not know. I was there 6 hours and replaced the LNB and all the switches

Could be a bad fitting.

I had a Hampton inn that has the same issue. Traced it to a bad wall plate on the 3rd floor behind a Tv in the guest room.

How I figured that out I do not know. I was there 6 hours and replaced the LNB and all the switches
Funny how that works sometimes lol

Jimbo, I may be wrong but I thought that the hs17 required the c61 to operate at all. I had the problem with old c61 and hs17.
I think your right, as I don't think the HS17 has any connections to the TV at all as far as Video goes.

I don't have one to check, but from what I remember theres no HDMI outputs that I know of.

Sounds like the same old video freeze that has been happening for a year of more.
I have posted about it here and at the other sites.
I have and HR54-500 and (3) C61Ks.
I have seen it at my sisters home in Montana and at my daughters home in Minnesota.
I had a new dish installed as well as new power inserter, sptillers, and SWiM switch.
Still happens.

In my case they ran a new cable and installed a new splitter. I had a c61k for awhile but the freeze frame problem was not improved. Any insight as to why the freeze frame could not be duplicated by rewinding and playback? It seems like if there was some kind of interruption to the sigal that interruption would present itself during playback.

In my case they ran a new cable and installed a new splitter. I had a c61k for awhile but the freeze frame problem was not improved. Any insight as to why the freeze frame could not be duplicated by rewinding and playback? It seems like if there was some kind of interruption to the sigal that interruption would present itself during playback.

Then the only thing to do is swap equipment at this point

Just because they are "Seasoned" doesnt mean they know what they are doing. Even techs with plenty years experience still learn. In my experience, at least in my area. The majority of installation techs are parts changers. If it doesnt work they swap boxes and clients and lnbs before even checking/testing cable.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Just because they are "Seasoned" doesnt mean they know what they are doing. Even techs with plenty years experience still learn. In my experience, at least in my area. The majority of installation techs are parts changers. If it doesnt work they swap boxes and clients and lnbs before even checking/testing cable.

Agreed. I have known techs in various industries who have been techs for decades and are dumb as a rock Meanwhile Joe new guy with 2 weeks on a job makes them look like idiots

Reactions: SuperTech2131

You also have to consider that many of the "Parts Changers" are on a specific time limit to get the job done and move on.

You also have to consider that many of the "Parts Changers" are on a specific time limit to get the job done and move on.
While I understand, doesnt make the process right. Totally understand work load, and other jobs matter to. But each customer should matter. And the least amount of truck rolls and service calls because of jobs done right.

The last tech told me that the last thing any tech wants is to have another tech called out for the same problem. Apparently it is a bad thing for them. Three techs in four weeks. Each new one knew this was an ongoing problem and exactly what the previous tech did. I understand that Even though a experienced tech does not guarantee a knowledgeable tech I have delt with enough reps over the years I think I recognize when someone knows what they are doing. These guys did and they are stumped. When the last one says they can't fix or find the problem I am at a loss. I guess that's why I came here looking for a new direction.

I have found hitting the back button works to stop the freezing. It's not the best solution, but it works for me.