Technical questions and advice - Caribbean: HD/Regular/FTA

Es la verdad?!?
Si:)
The reason we'd been stripped from 61.5 was due to bad installs,use of smaller dishes ,People start to complain about fading issues and for that matter retention dept took out from csr's computers all aut for any zip codes from PR and USVI.But we're working with them since summer to put it back on, we hope this can been done "soon":p

Any update on getting the channels on 61.5 in the USVI? I live in St. Croix and am now receiving 110 and 119 on a single 4 foot dish and have my 6 foot dish pointed at 61.5. Doing this added a few HBO and Cinemax HD channels and the NHL Network HD. Center Ice may be in HD too (I'll find out tonight I guess) for some games which will be great. But there are a ton of channels that are "red" in my guid that I should be able to get now. My dealer's reference receiver has Food, History, TBS, HGTV, NatGeoHD, ESPN News, ESPN2, Tennis, A&E, CNN, Hallmark, ABC Family, Toon, Toon Disney, Disney E, Bravo, Biography, UNIHD, and NFL which are red on my box. I was going to call Dish to see if they'd open them up, any thoughts on what my success would be and strategies for my call?

Sean

No love from Dish on letting me add the channels that we know we can receive down here. The CSR was nice and said she'd forward along my comments. This is really stupid, I am already paying $10 a month, so what if I can't get "all" of the TurboHD Gold Package. I'd take what I can get in addition to what I have. I sent them an email on the website pleading my case as well but I'm sure nothing will come of it.

There are many down here who are getting flatscreens and are itching for HD, but can't justify the investment for the small number of stations you get on the HD Pak. If they let us grab those 61.5 channels that came in down here they'd get a bunch more business. Also, I'm sure that this leads to signal theft as people resort to illegal boxes just to get what Dish won't sell them. Bad business all around for Dish and us legitimate customers who just want what we pay for without having to lie (address fabrication) or steal.

BTW TechnoGuy, you sound like an insider, if so, my zip code is 00820 if you could add it back on :)

Sean

No love from Dish on letting me add the channels that we know we can receive down here. The CSR was nice and said she'd forward along my comments. This is really stupid, I am already paying $10 a month, so what if I can't get "all" of the TurboHD Gold Package. I'd take what I can get in addition to what I have. I sent them an email on the website pleading my case as well but I'm sure nothing will come of it.

There are many down here who are getting flatscreens and are itching for HD, but can't justify the investment for the small number of stations you get on the HD Pak. If they let us grab those 61.5 channels that came in down here they'd get a bunch more business. Also, I'm sure that this leads to signal theft as people resort to illegal boxes just to get what Dish won't sell them. Bad business all around for Dish and us legitimate customers who just want what we pay for without having to lie (address fabrication) or steal.

BTW TechnoGuy, you sound like an insider, if so, my zip code is 00820 if you could add it back on :)

Sean
Nah:D:D
I just happen to work with the largest retailer in Puerto Rico,and one of the top 10 in the nation,So we're trying the Corporate guys in Colorado listen to the demands this market have, Unfortunately in your zip(St Croix)you will need to go with at least 6' dish for 61.5 (Probably larger due you're living in the threshold of the coverage of this sat)and when you accomplish this you'll no other choice to "move" your svc address to somewhere on the east coast .

Nah:D:D
I just happen to work with the largest retailer in Puerto Rico,and one of the top 10 in the nation,So we're trying the Corporate guys in Colorado listen to the demands this market have, Unfortunately in your zip(St Croix)you will need to go with at least 6' dish for 61.5 (Probably larger due you're living in the threshold of the coverage of this sat)and when you accomplish this you'll no other choice to "move" your svc address to somewhere on the east coast .

Thx, yep I have a 6 foot dish pointing at 61.5 now that is getting most but not all of the transponders. I also have a 4 footer that has a bracket on it so that it is getting 110 and 119 (signal in the 40's). I worked with a retailer here (Paradise Satellite) and know that he can get about 31 channels on 61.5 on his gear but they won't sell us those channels. It is so frustrating and stupid...keep fighting the good fight for us down here in the Caribbean :) I really don't want to move my address, I have another address in DC that I can use, I wonder if I'd lose my distant locals though and also if I could get the DC locals in HD (looks like they are on 61.5 non spot beam).

Sean

Thx, yep I have a 6 foot dish pointing at 61.5 now that is getting most but not all of the transponders. I also have a 4 footer that has a bracket on it so that it is getting 110 and 119 (signal in the 40's). I worked with a retailer here (Paradise Satellite) and know that he can get about 31 channels on 61.5 on his gear but they won't sell us those channels. It is so frustrating and stupid...keep fighting the good fight for us down here in the Caribbean :) I really don't want to move my address, I have another address in DC that I can use, I wonder if I'd lose my distant locals though and also if I could get the DC locals in HD (looks like they are on 61.5 non spot beam).

Sean

Well if you move your svc address you'll lose your locals(they will stripped the spot beam market to you because technically you're not longer living in the area)and if you ask for the DC market you'll see the channels on your guide but you'll not be able to get them because you are far away for that spot beam market(Check TNT Tony's Chart to be sure they are conus).

Last edited:
Thanks, I am getting my locals through all american direct though cuz we have no locals market in the USVI. They don't seem to coordinate very well with Dish, you get separate billing and everything so I wonder if I can change my service with Dish and keep my "distant locals" with them.

Still p/o'd about them not giving us all the HD we can get down here...if we can get the signal and are paying for it let us have it!

I'll check out that link!

Sean

Hey Guys and gals. I'm a sat guy in the VI.
Facts:
You can get sat 119 and 110 on a single dish. Bigger is better but works fine on a 1.2 meter and careful tuning. Requires a homemade bracket assembly.
61.5 requires another dish and I recommend a 1.8 meter minimum.

Dish is now limiting HD to the HDPac on 110 with a VI address. Previous customers were, and still do, get the 61.5 HD channels legally. Not sure why they've made this change unless it was complaints from the missing channels/transponders.

With 110 signal you can get the following HD Channels
TNT, ESPN, HBO, ShowE, Sci-Fi, USA, HD net, HD Thr, HD nmv

With 61.5 you can get:
Golf channel, VS,
HBO comedy, HB02E, Starz, Max, 5 Max, Max W, Lifetime, LMN (lifetime movie network) , Food network, History Channel, TBS, HGTV, NatGeoHD, ESPN News, ESPN2, Tennis, A&E, CNN, Hallmark, ABC Family, Toon, Toon Disney, Disney E, Bravo, Biography, UNIHD, NHL N, NFL channel, NBA League pass PPV, NHL Center Ice PPV. NBA TV, Big 10 HD.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Also,

If you move with your Dish service, All American Direct would have to be contacted to cancel the distants from Atlana and San Fran.
Otherwise you would keep getting them and paying for them.

I live in the Cayman Islands. I have two 6' dishes and one 4' dish but connect to 4 sats. The 4' is for 110 (signal is strong at the moment). One 6' points to 61.5 and the other 6' gets 118 and 119 (with a very large square dual LNB). Everything ties back to a DP44 switch. Have an account through the local 'authorized reseller' and receive all programming, including HD. I get HD locals from Charlotte, NC. Rain fade is actually not too bad. Only ongoing issue is that Charlotte HD locals are on 61.5 (spot beam) AND 118 (CONUS) so my receivers sometimes try to connect to 61.5 and then I loose the locals. A receiver reset (power cycle) and/or check switch test usually gets them back.

Does anyone know whether you can get the 129 satellite in Puerto Rico/USVI market?

Hello Mac:):)
As today 129w is not available to any part of the Caribbean, However once Ciel 2 comes to live we'll start to make testing to see if this orbital slot is a option in this area.

Thanks for the info, I was going to move my one dish from 61.5w to see if I can pick up 129w but you saved me the aggravation and wasted hours of trying to pick it up. :):)

Well if you move your svc address you'll lose your locals(they will stripped the spot beam market to you because technically you're not longer living in the area)and if you ask for the DC market you'll see the channels on your guide but you'll not be able to get them because you are far away for that spot beam market(Check TNT Tony's Chart to be sure they are conus).

Hi Guys:
DC HD in 61.5 are on a spotbeam:
DISH Network on EchoStar 3 & Rainbow 1 at 61.5°W - LyngSat

Thanks, I am getting my locals through all american direct though cuz we have no locals market in the USVI. They don't seem to coordinate very well with Dish, you get separate billing and everything so I wonder if I can change my service with Dish and keep my "distant locals" with them.

Still p/o'd about them not giving us all the HD we can get down here...if we can get the signal and are paying for it let us have it!

I'll check out that link!

Sean

I thought you guys in the VI were getting the same locals that we get!

Si:)
The reason we'd been stripped from 61.5 was due to bad installs,use of smaller dishes ,People start to complain about fading issues and for that matter retention dept took out from csr's computers all aut for any zip codes from PR and USVI.But we're working with them since summer to put it back on, we hope this can been done "soon":p
Do you have or somebody have any luck with 129W from caribean ? i read that CIEL-2 add more power to 129W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)