Technician visit = $70?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

larosafg

Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Got home yesterday from work and all my locals, HD package and Starz Package were gone (I was able to watch my Total Choice package, Spanish package and HBO Package) in one of my receivers (HD-HTL). Called DirecTV and they suggested to reset the receiver, but when it was creating the channel list I got a message that says something like "Data Failure Acquisition - check cables for properly connection", all the connections seems to be fine. Now I'm not able to watch any channel and they want to charge me $70 for a visit.
One more thing, my wife told me that yesterday there was a huge thunderstorm and she heard like an explosion in our roof.
Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Gus

If you have the protection plan its free. If you dont you can add it but you have to wait a month before they will replace anything for free.

Lightening hit your equipment?

I was also told it would be $70 a service call.

If yo uahve the protection plan the service call IS NOT FREE, it is $35 instead of $70. You still have to pay no matter what service plan you are signed up for. The CSR told me i can have the $70 charge or sign up for the plan with a 1 year comittment to it and get the guy to come for $35. he told me they make no gurantees as to if or when they will fix the issue, so you are just about taking the money and putting it on red that the issue will be fixed.

Sounds like your in case something happened that requires equipment replacement, and then it might be worth it to chaulk up the proteaction plan.

What does the plan cost? Buying a new dish may not be worth the protection plan cost.

I personally have never paid for anyone to come out to our house. They may be charging you a lower fee because you are willing to sign up for the protection plan and since it doesn't take effect for 30 days they are offering service at a lower price. I just read over the entire terms agreement and it doesn't list anything about a fee for a service call. It does have an act of god clause that it says is not covered I guess they could be using that to charge you.

When I called a few days ago to ask about no signal on SAT B and the olympic channel, after about 15 minutes of listening to the guy breathe into the phone reading about possible cures for the issue he said they would have to send someone out. The charge is $70, but if you comit to a year of the service plan they will knock it in half and just charge $35. My favorite part was the "although are technicians will do everything they can to solve the issue, we provide no gurantee that the issue will be resolved."

So they wanted to charge me to take a stab at the issue but not gurantee it would be fixed.

It sounds like the protection plan is like the paint treatment when you buy a new car, it is just a little surcharge they can tack on that goes right on in to contribution margin and right through to profits. To sign up for the protection plan and get the $35 a month would still be more money than the $70 in the long run.

The protection plan is $7.99 a month if you have a TiVO or HD receiver. I have had 2 TiVo's and one regular receiver replaced with as as well had a dish move covered under it and never paid anything more then the $7.99 a month. Maybe the $35 is something new. :confused:

I too haven't heard of the $35 charge, I always give my # to customers for referals and as well a 90 day warranty on my work... don't think all installers do this, but it has helped me pick up extra sales, as word of mouth advertising is the best!
I haven't had any problems except for a reset on a receiver... Do it right the 1st time and you don't usually have to go back!

Do it right the 1st time and you don't usually have to go back!

Directv would be lucky to have all installers with that same attitude that is for sure.

Maybe that guy was feeding me BS on the phone, or maybe they charge you no matter what if you equipment is self install.

If you have the protection plan the service call IS NOT FREE, it is $35 instead of $70

First its 30$ not 35. And the 30 is ONE TIME. The prot plan would be 7.99(since you gotta HD reciever) The prot plan would not start until 30 days after you add it, which is why we have the $30 charge. After the 30 days all equipment, svc calls, remotes, acces cards are covered.

Also if you elect to go with the $70 no prot plan then that service call itself has a 90 day warranty in and of itself. If the installer comes out and doesn't fix the prob then you have 90 days to call us back and get another one out for no extra charge. The $70 inclused any recievers lnb/dish/cable/multi-switch etc.. the installer may need to replace to fix the problem.

You do (in most cases) own your own equipment which is why there is a charge in the first place for the svc call.

Hope this clears things up for ya. :)

Directv would be lucky to have all installers with that same attitude that is for sure.

I agree 100%

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts