technician's on the short end of the stick

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

learnwhatican

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 28, 2006
short end of the stick

This thread is to stick up for all the technician's. I've heard many complaints from customer's about their install, about their service call, and what they deem unfair. And yes, you're right. If something wasn't doesn't right, you have the right to be upset.
But to take up for the installer's and technician's, the reason they gave you a raw deal is probably because of what they have to work with. Most of them haven't been given the training they need to do the job you want. Often times they don't have the equipment or tools they need. They also are paid unfairly, and have to go through too much to get the money they earned in the first place. There are numerous labor laws being broken, and these installer's are told to take it or leave it.

If an installer is trying hard to get out of doing your install, it is probably because he has been at it too many day's, and has seen too many houses to really care anymore about your install.

In one case, an group of installer's 2 weeks worth of work were upaid, because a secretary at the company they worked for left and took every document with her name on it with her. This included all the technician's paperwork for pay. When they approached the owner of the company, and he said the best he could do was give them $50 to get by on.

Another company tells their installers that if they go to the Department of Labor, they will be fired.

In my case, the previous company I worked for fired me for some post on this website awhile back about the unfair practices at my company. They said I was let go for not grounding 3 of my jobs. Which was true, I did not ground all jobs. But in my defense, I was never trained on how to ground, and I told several supervisor's that I didn't know how to. I took it upon myself to study the code and figure out the right way to do the job. The best they could give me was "tough luck", we'll give you a good recommendation. It was later I found out I was really let go for my comments about the company, and no jobs had been found unground.

I hate to sound so b**chy, but I thought someone should stand up and give a shout out for the overworked, unpaid technician's in this country who bring satellite service to customer's everyday.

Their are some plain lazy installer's who are just worthless regardless of their conditions, but from my experience, most of them care about doing a good job and do what they can.

Last edited:
You know i must be the one of the few that are happy with their job....i get paid really good. the onyl thing i dont agree with is paying for my own gas, while driving their vans and doing their jobs....other than that....its easy work

learnwhatican said:
Any technician's/installer's with similar experiences?

There are legions of techs in similar situations. There will be a sea change coming, just depends on how slow the courts are.

learnwhatican said:
This thread is to stick up for all the technician's. I've heard many complaints from customer's about their install, about their service call, and what they deem unfair. And yes, you're right. If something wasn't doesn't right, you have the right to be upset.
But to take up for the installer's and technician's, the reason they gave you a raw deal is probably because of what they have to work with. Most of them haven't been given the training they need to do the job you want. Often times they don't have the equipment or tools they need. They also are paid unfairly, and have to go through too much to get the money they earned in the first place. There are numerous labor laws being broken, and these installer's are told to take it or leave it.

If an installer is trying hard to get out of doing your install, it is probably because he has been at it too many day's, and has seen too many houses to really care anymore about your install.

In one case, an group of installer's 2 weeks worth of work were upaid, because a secretary at the company they worked for left and took every document with her name on it with her. This included all the technician's paperwork for pay. When they approached the owner of the company, and he said the best he could do was give them $50 to get by on.

Another company tells their installers that if they go to the Department of Labor, they will be fired.

In my case, the previous company I worked for fired me for some post on this website awhile back about the unfair practices at my company. They said I was let go for not grounding 3 of my jobs. Which was true, I did not ground all jobs. But in my defense, I was never trained on how to ground, and I told several supervisor's that I didn't know how to. I took it upon myself to study the code and figure out the right way to do the job. The best they could give me was "tough luck", we'll give you a good recommendation. It was later I found out I was really let go for my comments about the company, and no jobs had been found unground.

I hate to sound so b**chy, but I thought someone should stand up and give a shout out for the overworked, unpaid technician's in this country who bring satellite service to customer's everyday.

Their are some plain lazy installer's who are just worthless regardless of their conditions, but from my experience, most of them care about doing a good job and do what they can.

Great Post!!! You are telling it like it is, and the Tech is being cheated and taken advantage of, every day of the week!!! What makes it so bad, is that D* & E* condone these actions, and have done nothing to resolve the issues!!!

Thanx for your post, in favor of the Tech!!! The only resolution, will have to come from the Attorney General of each State, and the IBEW....

I had a tech install an AT9 in a difficult spot on the roof. He was able to use my existing arm but reinforced it. Did a great job improvising. In fact all D* installations I've had were very welll done. So they are not all bad. My Voom installation was another story.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)