Tegna Dispute - how much longer?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I discovered (by accident) the NFL Playoff games, yesterday and today at leasrt, are on Nick, channel 170. And possibly Amazon Prime.

Depending on how long this would go, Tegna would have even less leverage.

I don’t think I will ever fully understand why radio stations can be broadcast over the internet; yet not TV?

I know it is about the retransmission agreements, etc, but why didn’t those same agreements apply to radio?
I believe SiriusXM has two separate contracts for their radios (for their Sirius radios and their XM radios) and they have had disputes in the past for each platform.

"I feel for those without their NBC stations, with the Super Bowl & Olympics coming up."

Just get Peacock for the time needed 9.99 and watch your live sports. Cancel when done. ( Internet connection is also needed ). If your Tegna is CBS get Paramount + they have the live cbs local on there.

Luckily for me I don't care about watching sports on TV. I like going to live games but mainly for the crowd. And even though my "moved" market with Minneapolis, MN NBC KARE 11 is one of the affected stations, my market has SV locals as well so I still get my Mankato, MN NBC KMNF 7.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't normally believe in government intervention, but this would be an exception in my opinion.
Who else has the power to do so?..I dont need profits to make laws, just like I dont need a religion making laws.....Problems are ment to be fixed, not gouge the masses.

Luckily for me I don't care about watching sports on TV. I like going to live games but mainly for the crowd. And even though my "moved" market with Minneapolis, MN NBC KARE 11 is one of the affected stations, my market has SV locals as well so I still get my Mankato, MN NBC KMNF 7.
I too lost KARE 11 from my Dish package but get KMNF channel 7 NBC from Mankato via OTA which I have hooked to my Dish receiver, however the Dish guide info is for a CBS channel in a different time zone, very frustrating.

Reactions: edisonprime
I too lost KARE 11 from my Dish package but get KMNF channel 7 NBC from Mankato via OTA which I have hooked to my Dish receiver, however the Dish guide info is for a CBS channel in a different time zone, very frustrating.
I don't get Mankato OTA (too far away). Although DirecTV has more SV markets than Dish, I am currently "moved" to North Mankato, MN which gets both Minneapolis, MN and Mankato, MN even though I actually am in Rochester, MN. When I had DirecTV, I was "moved" to Durand, WI which gets Minneapolis, MN and La Crosse, WI.

Seattle stations from this location via OTA are impossible except for KCPQ, which I've gotten before with a small indoor antenna. KING is out of the question however. High hills directly to the north prevent reception. So, Peacock may be an option, as I have very good broadband...

"I feel for those without their NBC stations, with the Super Bowl & Olympics coming up."

Just get Peacock for the time needed 9.99 and watch your live sports. Cancel when done. ( Internet connection is also needed ). If your Tegna is CBS get Paramount + they have the live cbs local on there.
You don't even need to spend $9.99 for Peacock. To get the Premium tier with ads included, it's only $4.99. To get Premium ad-free, that's $9.99. Either way, you get all of whatever live sports Peacock offers, plus their entire on-demand library. (There's also a free tier that includes a limited on-demand library with ads but no live sports.)

Peacock Premium will include all of NBC's Winter Olympics coverage next month, plus all of NBC's remaining live NFL games during the playoffs plus the Super Bowl.

Seattle stations from this location via OTA are impossible except for KCPQ, which I've gotten before with a small indoor antenna. KING is out of the question however. High hills directly to the north prevent reception. ...
If one lives far enough north you have (thankfully, I do) two CTV channels (CTV and CTV2) which cover the NFL. All the Sunday night games until yesterday were on CTV2. The CBC will have marathon Olympics coverage in a couple of weeks, running pretty much around the clock save for "The National" and local news. CTV, Global and Citytv carry many of the shows from the U.S. Networks, largely in the same timeslot as the originating U.S. network. So, until Tegna and dish make nice you may have an option there.

BTW: CTV in Canada will have the "Big Game." Yes, THAT one.

Who else has the power to do so?..I dont need profits to make laws, just like I dont need a religion making laws.....Problems are ment to be fixed, not gouge the masses.
Like I stated, there are rare exceptions. In this case Tegna is trying to manipulate the market. But normally government intervention only stifles innovation and makes things more expensive.

If one lives far enough north you have (thankfully, I do) two CTV channels (CTV and CTV2) which cover the NFL. All the Sunday night games until yesterday were on CTV2. The CBC will have marathon Olympics coverage in a couple of weeks, running pretty much around the clock save for "The National" and local news. CTV, Global and Citytv carry many of the shows from the U.S. Networks, largely in the same timeslot as the originating U.S. network. So, until Tegna and dish make nice you may have an option there.

BTW: CTV in Canada will have the "Big Game." Yes, THAT one.
About 70 miles south of Seattle...Canadian TV is even more out of the question than Seattle stations, but thanks anyway...

My wife and I are beyond fed up with this dispute. We have done without both ABC and NBC ever since this dispute started. We are too far away from the transponder to receive the signal with an antenna. I really think government intervention might be the only way to solve this. IMHO, Tegna never should have been allowed to own two major netowrk stations in a market!

That's one of the changes the FCC made a few years back. Not only can they own 2 tv stations they can own 2 newspapers in a town and radio stations too. Basically in my area we have 2 companys owning all our main networks. CBS,CW,FOX all owned by Sinclair and our ABC, NBC station owned by Tegna. Each company has sub channels under their wings too. Both companies use only one news team and weather people that just bounce from broadcast to broadcast on on the company owned stations. This consolidation is hurting small town news because they are owned and directed by Company directions to show the news with their respective political stances. Local news used to be local and you got the opinion of local people. Even our local news in print that was printed in town is now being printed and written from Houston and then sent to subscribers here who want it.

That's one of the changes the FCC made a few years back. Not only can they own 2 tv stations they can own 2 newspapers in a town and radio stations too. Basically in my area we have 2 companys owning all our main networks. CBS,CW,FOX all owned by Sinclair and our ABC, NBC station owned by Tegna. Each company has sub channels under their wings too. Both companies use only one news team and weather people that just bounce from broadcast to broadcast on on the company owned stations. This consolidation is hurting small town news because they are owned and directed by Company directions to show the news with their respective political stances. Local news used to be local and you got the opinion of local people. Even our local news in print that was printed in town is now being printed and written from Houston and then sent to subscribers here who want it.
I'd like to use the full word but to be safe on this website I'll use an abbreviation. That's plain BS that Tegna is allowed to do that.

You don't even need to spend $9.99 for Peacock. To get the Premium tier with ads included, it's only $4.99. To get Premium ad-free, that's $9.99. Either way, you get all of whatever live sports Peacock offers, plus their entire on-demand library. (There's also a free tier that includes a limited on-demand library with ads but no live sports.)

Peacock Premium will include all of NBC's Winter Olympics coverage next month, plus all of NBC's remaining live NFL games during the playoffs plus the Super Bowl.
And the commercials on the $4.99 tier are never more the 60 seconds. Though with Olympics, they will probably use NBC's live feed, with ample commercials.

Interesting article about Tegna and the Dish dispute.
I think that it's Interesting Mr Allen believes local news is important..He must not have a wife with facebook or checked with people under 65 Our 3 daughters ages from 21thru32 don't watch anything but streaming TV and no news unless it's on some social media platform

Reactions: navychop
Status
Please reply by conversation.