TELEPHONE OUTLET FOR HD SIGNAL

Bulbman2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
HELP- my house was wired for tv and telephone. Then I had my basement finished -completely ceiling drywalled. I have a telephone out let- double jack, that is near where I use my laptop. Is there anyway I can unhook the extra telephone jack at the box and then backfeed my ota hd antenna (cm4228) into the that extra phone outlet- I have yet to buy a tuner for my laptop.

If you can figure out my question please reply

thanks John

You cannot use the existing telephone wire. The only way to do it would be running a new coax antenna cable to the jack, and replacing the telephone jack with one for your antenna.

phone line coax

thanks funky

not an option to run coax thru the phone box

everything is sealed

tried the slingbox--other issues

not an option to run coax thru the phone box

Not sure I'd recommend it, but IF you could run the coax through the entire conduit such that it was a pure coax run (with connectors, presumably), then it would theoretically work. The way I understood your original question was that you wanted to use the phone wires as a means of propagating the signal in the wall.

I am sure I could come up with the connection- My BIG question was- would those dinkywires be able to handle the signal without loss?

Nope. If you had Cat5 you might get it to work, but since Cat5 is twisted pairs, and 8 of them, it's a whole different story. Even baluning RF over Cat5 is tough. Forget it with phone wire.

Ah, yeah I would agree with Andrewwski. Not even worth the effort, IMO. Those phone wires aren't shielded enough, you would introduce way too much noise into the signal.

I don't want to post any links that might conflict with the site sponsers, but if you search for "RJ-11 balun" and "cctv balun". The product you're looking for definitely does exist.

I can't vouch for the performance without know what grade of cable was used for your telephone wiring, I doubt it will work for your application. It would probably work fine for the intended application of baseband video distribution if the wire run was short enough, but you'll probably have enough signal loss across the broadcast frequency range that you'll lose most (if not all) of the gain of your outdoor antenna.

Good point about the sponsors. :) I've removed my external links. The OhGizmo link has a good link to a review to show performance (or lack of, if you will) if you are interested.

I don't want to post any links that might conflict with the site sponsers, but if you search for "RJ-11 balun" and "cctv balun". The product you're looking for definitely does exist.

I can't vouch for the performance without know what grade of cable was used for your telephone wiring, I doubt it will work for your application. It would probably work fine for the intended application of baseband video distribution if the wire run was short enough, but you'll probably have enough signal loss across the broadcast frequency range that you'll lose most (if not all) of the gain of your outdoor antenna.

"CCTV baluns" are designed for composite video, not RF.

If you do a search for "RF balun" or "CATV balun" you'll find something that works, but it's made for Cat 5. Phone wire isn't going to work too well.

I don't know about how this would effect quality, or if it's even an option in this case, but how about a wireless video sender? Just throwing the iddea out there for someone more knowledgeable than me to consider. They aren't expensive and easy to move around. Any thoughts?

Good point about the sponsors. :) I've removed my external links. The OhGizmo link has a good link to a review to show performance (or lack of, if you will) if you are interested.

I guess it's not a perfect world. LOL

I heard that MS had bought CNET. I'm wondering if soon the only electronics fit to review will have the MS logo on them. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)