Telstar 12 @ 15°W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I was up on the roof this evening trying to aim my dish at 15 degrees west. For some reason, I wasn't getting anything from this, but the problem was that the satellite was at such a low elevation that the dish was brushing up against the tripod leg. I had to move the motor up the pole a little bit, and now I got a good signal on Telstar 12. Here are some pictures to show how low the dish is pointing...

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

The only thing I don't like about this setup is that the dish motor is higher up the pole than I would like. It gives it just a little more back and forth motion in the wind. I had the motor closer to the tip of the tripod before, and it worked fine for months. But this seems to give me everything from 15W up to 125W.

12.5w is the last bird with beams over North America that I know of, everything west of that is my territory :)

Nice setup nice with the Invacom LNB, sadly the three I've had have all gone deaf and replaced with cheaper and lighter LNB's no real much difference now. What sized dish is that 1m?

58w gives me such an elevation :)

I don't think there's anything on 12.5W. If there is, I would be interested in seeing if I could receive it. I have just enough room for the motor to move there, although it's close to the end of the 70 degree limit of the motor.

Tonight, we're expecting 60 mph winds. I'll see how this setup holds up. I'm worried, but this should be a good test.

I've been looking for something on 12.5W for sometime. I don't know if there isn't anything there, or I just don't have the dish in the right direction since I can't find any active transponder. Now that you have a good 15W signal, try for AVC on 11884 V 3000. I've only ever been able to receive SQ 10%-30% but no video or audio. You have to try earlier in the day since I think it's off the air now.

Amos sats may have capability for transponders aimed at North America, but I don't see evidence anywhere that they currently have a footprint covering us now. I do see 3-year old reports that 8W has been received in North America. I wish there was some more up-to-date info from somebody in North America if signals are being received now from anything 4W through 12.5W.

Now that you have a good 15W signal, try for AVC on 11884 V 3000. I've only ever been able to receive SQ 10%-30% but no video or audio. You have to try earlier in the day since I think it's off the air now.

I have the same problem. The signal is right around 15%, sometimes fluctuating to 30%... no audio or video.

Interesting. I thought your being further south would give more SQ. But your dish is smaller and you're much further west too.

How did you know that there was a channel there anyways?? Sathint shows a channel there, but you were the one who added it. Could it be that one of the channel settings is not right? I have a channel editor I use.

I found the channel first as a result of a report from superJ2 on my local Canadian FTA forum. He and I swap info regarding T12 at 15W. I also scanned it in via a blind scan when the signal was at its strongest. You can look here to see a video image of the station. Notice the different PIDs in this image. I forget if I've tried editing the PIDs per this or not: I'll try when I see the signal next time.

Try at different times / days and under different weather conditions. You may find the signal varies. At 35% (peak I've seen) that won't give me any video on my S9. I need at least about 50%.

I am at 2.2E 49W (Paris, France) I am able to receive about110 stations on 12.5W mostly European but also American SQ 75%. I am using Azbox HD Premium, Vu+Duo, Azbox me, XeoBox 1050 HD tuners, Triax 1.1m dish, Tm 2600 motor and TM quad LNB 0.1 db. I hope this is useful.

Try at different times / days and under different weather conditions. You may find the signal varies. At 35% (peak I've seen) that won't give me any video on my S9. I need at least about 50%.
Did you try to get this with the Coolsat? My 8000 will sometimes lock transponders that the s9 will not.

It's a good suggestion. But AVC is DVB-S2, not compatible with my Coolsat. I don't see any signal on the CS 7000 when DVB-S2 is present. What's odd is that I see a clear LPB picture on 87W when its DVB-S2 signal is even weaker than this one. I need 50% only on DVB-S signals to get video.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)