TELSTAR 12 @ 15° WEST

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
I was just curious to see if anyone on the east coast has tried to get TELSTAR 12 at 15° WEST on a fixed dish? Is it possible at all? What size dish are we talking here? I know it is KU and the footprint shows coverage in the US eastern side. Just curious to see if at all it would be possible. Maybe worth a weekend re-point project to see if it is remotely possible.

I see there is alot of stuff in the clear on this bird! :hungry:

15w_2.gif

Will have to read some members thoughts first before trying it. Your Ideas and thoughts welcome!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

I tried (not hard enough) but I did try to get Telstar 12 from Chicago , if you do a search you'll find other threads about Telstar 12 and members on the East coast that had success.

I can get this perfectly fine in columbus OH.

Been thinking about a fixed dish at this sat for a while.

Tested this out last weekend on a 90cm fortec with a Univ lnb (was trying 12.5W as well; no luck) on a temp tripod.

Pretty much everything on lyngsat is still there. SQ up in the 60s-80s on all of them

No problem receiving this satellite in the Boston area. Fortec 36 inch dish, motorized system. Signal strength on some TPs in the high 80s.

It’s pretty strong here. I get it on my 36" but have got it on a 76cm winegard. I bet you can hit it from your co-ordinates.

Thanks starman! Good to hear from you again!

Thanks to all that jumped in here to give the suggestions! I always wondered if it was possible, the footprint looked good for my area and I guess now I will give it a try!

Weekend project a brewing on the horizon! :)

B~Man

I was going to try it once until I saw that the elevation for my location is 0.9 degrees. I could never get that low of an elevation to my east because of trees. I can barley get enough to get Hispasat to the east. I could get that low of an elevation to the west but the farthest sat to the west with a footprint covering me is 148, and I can still get that on my motorized dish. Maybe if I move into a high rise someday I'll try it.

I would like to watch Brazilian programming from that bird , and I believe they have Angola TV too.

Right you are jayelem, TPA Internacional is on this bird!

Televisão Pública de Angola - Inicio

Ok, a weekend project is going into full swing if the WX holds out & I have time this weekend! It will seem odd having a dish pointed that far off the regular Arc! :eek:

Anyone Know The Proper Skew for TELSTAR 12 on A Fixed Dish?

I Got Something Like This At Dish Pointer:
Latitude: 39.1583°
Longitude: -81.5377°
Satellite Name: 15.0W Telstar 12
Distance: 40650km Elevation: 9.4°
Azimuth (true): 105.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 113.0°
LNB Skew [?]: -48.4°
arrow-l.png

B~Man

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)