Temperature problem with dish 500?

boogerbear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
North Carolina
A little over a couple of years ago, I upgraded to the dish 500 to get the local stations. (live at the foot of the Blue Ridge, and most locals were horrible) I am thinking it was 2004. Everything was fine for awhile.

The reception started going out on the local and other channels that came from the dish 500. I would get them at night but as the day went on, I would lose them. Then it was the summer, and later in the winter it was only at night. etc etc etc. I assumed it was the pines blocking the dish. I had the pines cut down, (was going to anyway, way too close to the house, and too big). This did not fix the problem during the day. Now I noticed today, when there has been a really bad cold snap all day that I have the dish 500's again. (It seems that 35 degrees F is the number. If it gets hotter than that, then 110 trans 31 and 8 gives me the error 002. The signal strenght remains the same. When it cools off below 35, bingo, I have my locals and the movie channels etc that I had lost.)

Could this be temperature related? I checked the signal strenght especially on the 110 and the 31 transponder. It is still the same strenght about 75 when it is showing my locals or when I get the error 2. (This sounds insane to me, unless it is a faulty unit, but I thought I would ask.)

I am disabled, and this dish is way on the side of my house. Please don't ask me to go find out some number on it. I appreciate any help, and all help. I wanted to know what to say before I call them.

Last edited:
Sounds like a reasonable conclusion that it is temperature related. Could it be the electronics? Possibly. The LNBF on your dish is an electronic device with logic circuitry and is certainly sensitive to temperature.

Another possibility, and this is just a shot in the dark, is that your dish is moving due to expansion/contraction of the structure it is mounted to.

LNBs can become temperature sensative, signal loss at higher temperatures is most common but it goes both ways. The only way to confirm your suspision is to replace LNB, I hope you have DHPP.

I'm running a 6-year old legacy twin, and when the temps get down around freezing with wind, I sometimes lose some channels. I haven't checked the charts to see if I'm losing one of the satellites and do not remember if its even-odd. After the sun has been up a couple of hours (and slightly warmed things with radiant heat) I get all my channels back.

The particular LNB batch number (and year) have been posted on this forum in the past.
In fact, I'm pretty sure I have posted it myself.
You might search on the subject along with my name... might show up.
That doesn't help the OP unless his was installed around that year, but it might help others.

But, as noted, it's also possible that there is a temperature sensitivity of something related to the physical mounting, so ... more research and testing would be needed on a case by case basis.

The particular LNB batch number (and year) have been posted on this forum in the past.
In fact, I'm pretty sure I have posted it myself.
You might search on the subject along with my name... might show up.
That doesn't help the OP unless his was installed around that year, but it might help others.

But, as noted, it's also possible that there is a temperature sensitivity of something related to the physical mounting, so ... more research and testing would be needed on a case by case basis.
DP Twins lot # CCS9601 made by channel Master their problem was high temperature failure.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)