Tempted to switchd to Uverse?

I signed up for U-Verse TV when it first came out, along with digital phone and Internet service. The phone and Internet work fine, but we (me and the installer) could never get the U-Verse box to boot up completely, because the phone wiring in my house was too old to handle the data load. I had spent a LOT of time and effort running the RG cables through walls and the attic to avoid having cables all along the walls, so I did not want to have new cable installed that way, or have the walls torn up again. And, back then, the channel selection was not as good as DISH.

Good idea to check with your neighbor, likely his phone wiring will be the same as yours, so you can assess whether you will be having cables added that might be less than aesthetically pleasing.

Good luck.

When my parents had them after 6 months they jacked up the price to 174 a month. They didn't have all the channels either. They were paying that for a year until my mom called and they only would give 10 bucks off.

I signed up for U-Verse TV when it first came out, along with digital phone and Internet service. The phone and Internet work fine, but we (me and the installer) could never get the U-Verse box to boot up completely, because the phone wiring in my house was too old to handle the data load. I had spent a LOT of time and effort running the RG cables through walls and the attic to avoid having cables all along the walls, so I did not want to have new cable installed that way, or have the walls torn up again. And, back then, the channel selection was not as good as DISH.

Good idea to check with your neighbor, likely his phone wiring will be the same as yours, so you can assess whether you will be having cables added that might be less than aesthetically pleasing.
Good luck.

My phone wiring is 40 years old. I want new wiring run. Will ATT run new wiring for the free installation. What type of wiring do they now use.

When my parents had them after 6 months they jacked up the price to 174 a month. They didn't have all the channels either. They were paying that for a year until my mom called and they only would give 10 bucks off.

The add states that the pricing is good for 24 months with a 1 year contract.

att1.PNG

My phone wiring is 40 years old. I want new wiring run. Will ATT run new wiring for the free installation. What type of wiring do they now use.
Yes. They will run new wiring, if required. It will be copper TP to the Gateway/Router, and most likely coax to the DVR's. The DVR's will also work with Cat5/6 ethernet. But, they can re-use existing coax, if it meets their spec. Theoretically, the DVR's can work wirelessly to the Gateway, as long as there is low interference.

Yes. They will run new wiring, if required. It will be copper TP to the Gateway/Router, and most likely coax to the DVR's. The DVR's will also work with Cat5/6 ethernet. But, they can re-use existing coax, if it meets their spec.
Tell them you're keeping both Dish and UVerse and they can't re-use the existing coax. In my case that meant nice, new cat 5 drops run for each of my TVs. Also think about where the router really should be and have them put it where needed and not be restricted to where there happens to already be an outlet.

I would probably get pretty good TV since "The Box" is on a corner of my property. I did get voice and internet. Internet very good a not a single drop out in the near month I've had it. My purchased speed limit is 12 Mbps, but I usually get 13-14. 2-Wire modem/router has better range than my old, trusty Linksys. Voice, is a PITA. Takes at least 6 seconds after punching in a number to start to actually start dialing and I've had several complaints about clarity.

Plus only 250 minutes of phone, that's quite low.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

OH Yeh!! Despite the fact I PAID for the internet Modem, they tried to charge me $6.00/month for equipment. Got it waived. So despite all the bad feelings toward AT&T, they WILL work with you. Go to an AT&T STORE, establish a repartee with an agent, and no problem. So, better than Dish in that department. Makes me ALMOST want to try TV, but can't give up the HOPPER.

My point, I feel AT&T is bending over backwards for business..but me be a Sat Boy!!!

OH Yeh!! Despite the fact I PAID for the internet Modem, they tried to charge me $6.00/month for equipment. Got it waived. So despite all the bad feelings toward AT&T, they WILL work with you. Go to an AT&T STORE, establish a repartee with an agent, and no problem. So, better than Dish in that department. Makes me ALMOST want to try TV, but can't give up the HOPPER.

My point, I feel AT&T is bending over backwards for business..but me be a Sat Boy!!!

Well said Kab.

My experience is they have bent over backwards to
keep me happy.

Best customer service...

I've had UVerse for a little over a year now. I pay $167/month for UVerse 400 and 24 mbps internet. When my credits ran out, I was able to get more to keep the bill at the same amount. Picture quality is not as good as Dish or Directv. The STB leaves a lot to be desired. If signal is lost, the internet goes down, or if the power goes out, it takes at least 30 minutes for the receivers to reboot. For some reason, the router will randomly boot wireless devices, such as my Xbox, requiring a router reboot, which of course means no TV in any room. UVerse support is worse than Dish support! I can record 4 programs at once, but only if all 4 TVs are tuned to the channel that they're recording. If I'm recording on 3 TVs but watching a DVR program on the 4th, it creates a conflict and 1 show will not record. Like others have said, the way that the HD channels are laid out is just weird and annoying. My RSN is FSMW HD on channel 1748- no SD version of that channel. Very annoying when the HD goes out! A few months ago, Blues Hockey was on FSMW, so the Cardinals game was on an alternate channel. The problem with that is, UVerse didn't turn the channel on for my area! FSMW reported my area was the only area reporting a "blackout"(not in a blackout area). MLB said there was no reason for the game to be blacked out, so I hounded UVerse on Twitter. They finally "flipped the switch" in the 6th inning! That's my take on UVerse.

I do believe you're right about that. ATT had people going door to door through my neighborhood for the last couple of weeks and were offering some really good deals. They offered me 18mps internet with unlimited phone and their 300 tier tv for $132 per month for two years. But I've been having some financial problems and I'm not prepared to sign a contract as well as I've not been impressed with U-Verse hd pq.

I do believe you're right about that. ATT had people going door to door through my neighborhood for the last couple of weeks and were offering some really good deals. They offered me 18mps internet with unlimited phone and their 300 tier tv for $132 per month for two years. But I've been having some financial problems and I'm not prepared to sign a contract as well as I've not been impressed with U-Verse hd pq.

The problem is that it is AT&T. If it were free it would still be a bad deal.

It amazes me how anyone would want to deal with this poor excuse of a company.

AT&T is the largest political contributor. That says it all.

Every product they offer is substandard.

If I were a moronic buffoon they would be my choice. Fortunately I am not.

Very bizarre
I feel like we are talking about a completely
Different company.
It sounds from some folks posting they just
Hate At@t because they are a large company.
How short sighted.

I'm not saying Uverse is perfect. However
The service in my area has improved drastically
From when it first arrived in south Florida 3 years
Ago.
My service never goes out even in bad storms.
My Internet it great.
My HD picture is excellent. Again, on par with dish a notch below Direc.

Uverse is the new kid on the block.
They are trying real hard to get sub rate up.
I applaud them for doing everything thing they can
To keep subs happy.
The sat companies sometimes forget what outstanding customer service is. I will say
Dish has been pretty good past couple of years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)